From: Penny Golden <pengold2@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, November 16, 2018 11:00
Subject: [TechTalk] Orbit Questions

I've changed the subject line a bit.
What I like about the Orbit so far is the price. I do not own one, but I own very expensive HIMS notetaking devices. I love them, but if they go down, I'm sunk. Last year I would love to have gotten a few cells replaced on my 32-cell u2 device. Nope; they couldn't do it; they wanted 2100 dollars to replace the entire braille display.
That's four orbits, in case you're keeping score.
I don't own an orbit yet. I'm considering it. It would be nice, first, to just be able to hold an orbit and work with it for 5 or 15 minutes.
My understanding is that it will open whatever file you have and that is what you see. if you have a text file, it does not translate it into braille, as we are so used to with our HIMS or braille-note type devices.
There is no speech either, isn't that right? And there's no flash memory, to store things. it's all done on an SD card, right?
Someone with an Orbit or with knowledge of it, perhaps you will chime in and help me a little.
If my inquiry is beyond the scope of what is desired on the list, I'll gladly move it into a private discussion.
all best,
Penny
pengold2@...
the old lady schoolmarm from Eastern Nebraska.

On 11/16/2018 8:27 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

yes i agree. get the orbit reader20 for $449. It has 8-dot braille, connects to NVDA and jaws, and voiceover, and brailleback, 6-key perkins keyboard, panning buttons arrows and select buttons plus dots 7 and 8 keys left and right of the space bar. and it has a very basic noteTaker. the notetaker lets you write directly into brl brf or txt files in ascii or raw braille. this means you just open your notes, and write whatever braille code you wish whether its english, greek, or japanese, math, or music braille. It's a nice simple display for reading, writing and using with your pc or mac or mobile device. according to a master's thesis i got off the internet, it most likely uses very rugged and reliable micro-vibration cell-phone motors to make the dots go up and down. the braille me uses braille cells that are magnetic, magnetic force makes its braille cells work. but orbit reader20 has the most reliable braille cells though.