From: Penny Golden <pengold2@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, November 16, 2018 23:39
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Orbit Questions

It seems to me that one of the extensions, brf or brl, does a little more formatting than the other. Just out of curiosity, can you rename a file on the ORBIT?
Aman suggested I get an Orbit to look at; well, I'm not in a particular rush; so I figured that if I waited long enough, I'd run into a fellow blind reader or dealer in such things and see for myself. I think it is a great low-cost solution for those of us who need our braille displays, but who might have to send an expensive one away for awhile.
Pen
pengold2@...

On 11/16/2018 8:29 PM, Gene wrote:

I said before that you can just change the extensions. But on thinking about it, that was an assumption. Are there any differences between brf and brl other than the extension? I have always assumed not but then, why are there two extensions?

From: Penny Golden <pengold2@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, November 16, 2018 18:57

While bookshare books are available in daisy format, I get all mine with
the brf extension. Does the Orbit believe in brf or only in brl? Yes,
BAUD and I were old friends.
But I was never the user that you all were. You could probably have
built an apple II E.
Best, Penny

Thanks. Penny

On 11/16/2018 3:24 PM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
Hi again,

I remember that you were a BAUD su bscriber. I don't remember if we ever chatted.

There are no problems with folders or daughter folders for that matter. The Reader can handle a 32 Gig SD card which means that you can have a ton of stuff in there.

Book Share books are audio books, right? Take note that there is no audio on this device. Braille is its only output.

Joe G.

From: Penny Golden <pengold2@...>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, November 16, 2018 11:00
Subject: [TechTalk] Orbit Questions

I've changed the subject line a bit.
What I like about the Orbit so far is the price. I do not own one, but I own very expensive HIMS notetaking devices. I love them, but if they go down, I'm sunk. Last year I would love to have gotten a few cells replaced on my 32-cell u2 device. Nope; they couldn't do it; they wanted 2100 dollars to replace the entire braille display.
That's four orbits, in case you're keeping score.
I don't own an orbit yet. I'm considering it. It would be nice, first, to just be able to hold an orbit and work with it for 5 or 15 minutes.
My understanding is that it will open whatever file you have and that is what you see. if you have a text file, it does not translate it into braille, as we are so used to with our HIMS or braille-note type devices.
There is no speech either, isn't that right? And there's no flash memory, to store things. it's all done on an SD card, right?
Someone with an Orbit or with knowledge of it, perhaps you will chime in and help me a little.
If my inquiry is beyond the scope of what is desired on the list, I'll gladly move it into a private discussion.
all best,
Penny
pengold2@...
the old lady schoolmarm from Eastern Nebraska.