Re: Braille Display Questions

Aman Singer

Hi Eleni,

You write:

I'm currently in the process of seeking Pacmate driver. From what I recall, I must search for the Focus one, as it works on both units.

That's so. Try

https://www.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/Focus/FocusBlueBrailleDisplayDriver

This does work for the Pacmate as well as the focus. I have used it on Windows 7 and above but see no reason why it would not work on XP, given that the displays have been around for a while.

You write:
I never considered not taking into account opinions on the actual braille of a braille display when reading a review. I thought that would be a core component of the description and experience.

I used to agree with you, but have found that the quality of braille is so subjective that other people's views can actually mislead. Obviously, if there are a few reviews which all mention stuck dots or other reliability issues, those are worth taking into account, particularly if they're recent. Again, if there are many reviews and all point out one defective point in the braille (too weak, too strong, refreshes too slowly, etc.), that too should be taken into account. As to the quality of the braille itself, though, I'm tempted to say that one should really try it for oneself. Your analogizing it to a keyboard is perfectly reasonable. This is something only the end-user can judge. Keep in mind also, if you will, that some people don't have a good basis for comparison. There's a reason sighted people think narrator is a good screen reader, for example. They are not familiar with the state-of-the-art, and therefore will think anything works well because, just for example, it talks. I grant that the perfect is the enemy of the good, but in another way, the mediocre can be the enemy of the good, too.

You write:

That is, even if I write something using Greek braile, if I saved it and then tried to convert it to txt or rtf and use it with my computer, it wouldn't work correctly.

That's true, but brf files are just text with the braille symbols represented in them. You can, if you wish, open the file in notepad and read it on the same or another display, though you will not hear it represented properly in speech and though it will not be properly displayed for a sighted user. This applies even if the braille display does not natively support
the language. Obviously, if the display does support the language and its braille tables, it will allow you to have the files brought into the displays format of choice and, when they are saved, save the files in the mainstream format. If that's the case, you can read the files with speech and send them to sighted users.
HTH,
Aman

Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 11:44 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Braille Display Questions

To Aman Singer:"
I'm currently in the process of seeking Pacmate driver. From what I recall, I must search for the Focus one, as it works on both units.

No, I definitely wasn't being sarcastic with relation to his and him.
I am a grammar prescriptivist and am against political correctness and the language it creates. So this made me smile.

Yes, I would consider the Pacmate to be an extra, but quite an interesting one. I haven't used JFW since 4.5.

I always make sure that everything I buy on Ebay has been tested, is working, and includes a return policy. There was one exception, but the seller was extremely honest and specifically said that, due to the age of the item, it might not work correctly, even though it was never opened.

I never considered not taking into account opinions on the actual braille of a braille display when reading a review. I thought that would be a core component of the description and experience. But I have only read a few such reviews in my life, since this is the first time I considered buyin a braille display. Almost everything else that I own is mainstream or cheap and simple enough that I could read the description on the website and know whether i wanted it or not.
But I suppose it's like a keyboard. Everyone has his own opinion on the matter.

I don't use bluetooth on anything, but it definitely explains the extra expense. Plus, the one I saw was a 40-cell display, which always cost more.

To Josh Kennedy:
I have heard negative things about the Orbit, so am a bit hesitant to use it. As for the notetaker, it cannot save to the proper braille code if it's not installed on the device. That is, even if I write something using Greek braile, if I saved it and then tried to convert it to txt or rtf and use it with my computer, it wouldn't work correctly. Likewise, it probably couldn't read my files on my thumb drive. But that doesn't really matter, as I will mainly be using such a display with NVDA. I am glad that the issues with the Braille Me have been resolved. As for the person I mentioned, he is not my friend. This was from a review that I read.

To Victor:
Has your focus always had this issue or is it recent? I hope I don't have the same issues with the Pacmate. I do remember that, sometimes, the dots on my Braille Lite 2000 would stick up and I had to run my finger across them, but that wasn't a serious issue. I can't ever recall that happening with my BrailleNote. Personally, I wouldn't mind 40 cells, though I would prefer them to be in two lines, not one.
It is easier to carry a smaller device.

To Chris G:
Thank you for the link. I am interested in hearing the podcast as well.

On 16/11/2018, Chris G <chris@magiccastle.online> wrote:
Hi Don,
Here is a link to the podcast in question.

https://www.mysticaccess.com/j04p

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--
*Sent:* Fri, Nov 16, 2018 12:59 PM EST
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io
*Subject:* [TechTalk] Braille Display Questions

Josh, please could you send me a link to that Braille Me presentation.
Thanks.
Don Roberts

----- Original Message -----
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Sent:* Friday, November 16, 2018 6:32 AM
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] Braille Display Questions

yes i can confirm all braille me issues have been fixed. i
listened to a pennsylvania council of the blind podcast which
demonstrates and confirms the braille me is now a good device to
own, along with the orbit20.

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.