Re: Orbit Questions

Victor

Definitely make sure that which ever braille display you choose, it must have high-quality dots. My focus 40 blue braille display has a high quality of darts, but some show up better than others. It wasn’t always this way, but I think I need to clean it. Clean your braille display.

Victor

On Nov 18, 2018, at 6:33 PM, Joe Giovanelli <joegio100@gmail.com> wrote:

That's right, Kay. There is no translator in the Orbit Reader. Files must be created or translated using another device and loaded onto the SD card which stores Orbit Reader documents. There is no internal storage.

Its keyboard can, of course, be used to write whatever Braille characters you may require.

Joe Giovanelli

----- Original Message -----
From: Kay Malmquist <kay.malmquist@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Sunday, November 18, 2018 16:33
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Orbit Questions

So, since the Orbit Reader reads .txt is what you read in first grade
Braille? I have heard over and over that it is not a translator so this
would seem to be the case. Let me know if I am wrong. Thanks much.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@gmail.com

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its
strength.
Corrie Ten Boom - 1892-1983 - Watchmaker

From: Penny Golden <pengold2@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, November 16, 2018 11:00
Subject: [TechTalk] Orbit Questions

I've changed the subject line a bit.
What I like about the Orbit so far is the price. I do not own one, but I
own very expensive HIMS notetaking devices. I love them, but if they go
down, I'm sunk. Last year I would love to have gotten a few cells
replaced on my 32-cell u2 device. Nope; they couldn't do it; they wanted
2100 dollars to replace the entire braille display.
That's four orbits, in case you're keeping score.
I don't own an orbit yet. I'm considering it. It would be nice, first,
to just be able to hold an orbit and work with it for 5 or 15 minutes.
My understanding is that it will open whatever file you have and that is
what you see. if you have a text file, it does not translate it into
braille, as we are so used to with our HIMS or braille-note type devices.
There is no speech either, isn't that right? And there's no flash
memory, to store things. it's all done on an SD card, right?
Someone with an Orbit or with knowledge of it, perhaps you will chime in
and help me a little.
If my inquiry is beyond the scope of what is desired on the list, I'll
gladly move it into a private discussion.
all best,
Penny
pengold2@gmail.com
the old lady schoolmarm from Eastern Nebraska.

On 11/16/2018 8:27 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

yes i agree. get the orbit reader20 for $449. It has 8-dot braille,
connects to NVDA and jaws, and voiceover, and brailleback, 6-key perkins
keyboard, panning buttons arrows and select buttons plus dots 7 and 8 keys
left and right of the space bar. and it has a very basic noteTaker. the
notetaker lets you write directly into brl brf or txt files in ascii or
raw braille. this means you just open your notes, and write whatever
braille code you wish whether its english, greek, or japanese, math, or
music braille. It's a nice simple display for reading, writing and using
with your pc or mac or mobile device. according to a master's thesis i got
off the internet, it most likely uses very rugged and reliable
micro-vibration cell-phone motors to make the dots go up and down. the
braille me uses braille cells that are magnetic, magnetic force makes its
braille cells work. but orbit reader20 has the most reliable braille cells
though.