From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Kapsys SmartVision 2 cell phone

I am very skeptical about Kapsys, a relatively littel-known start-up company whose phones seem overpriced for what they offer. Since their products are aimed at a small, niche market, their long-term viability isquestionable. Remember Odin Mobiel, a similar company whose mission was to offer accessible, blind-friendly cell phones? How did that work out? Where are they now? How many blind consumers got stuck with their products? Unfortunately, it may simply not be possible to find a basic, affordable cell phone that offers both a tactile keypad and talking caller ID. But to me, it is important for someone who is not tech savvy to be able to handle a cell phone that he/she isinterested in before actually buying it. Obviously, this is not possible with the Kapsys phones, which, at present, are not sold through major retailers like Target, Walmart,Best Buy or Costco. So if you shell out $900 for a Smart Visions 2 phone, and Kapsys goes belly up like Odin Mobile, you're totally screwed.

Gerald

On 12/11/2018 7:47 AM, Gene wrote:

They appeal to seniors who don't have enough vision loss to make the phone not properly accessible. The question is, are there phones that serve those who are in that category?