From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] windows 10, jaws and thunderbird

I'm not sure why that is.  What kind of instruction did you have in using Windows and Windows programs as a blind person?  If you were taught or used materials that just taught you to memorize se    quences of commands, then you will have a lot of unnecessary problems.  If you were taught to use Windows and Windows programs as a blind person in terms of structures, then you shouldn't have serious problems with change unless you have something like a learning disability.

If you received poor instruction, I would strongly suggest working through good material such as that from Cathy Anne Murtha.  I don't know what, if any, other material teaches well in terms of structures.  Others may be able to discuss that.

As for your immediate problem, would you rather put Firefox on your XP computer or would you rather just switch to thunderbird now if you got good help with both options?

You should have little trouble with Firefox.  Browsing is just about identical.  Working with settings shouldn't cause you problems if you get a little explanation and you may not want to change any settings anyway.  It probably makes itself the default browser during installation or asks if it should be.

I'm not going into these things to persuade you to use it, I'm explaining these things to help you decide.

As I said, I don't think you will have a lot of trouble with Thunderbird if you get some discussion from list members.  You will probably want to learn more, the list discussion will probably just tell you things like how to open, reply, and do other basic tasks but the program isn't much different than Outlook Express, though there are some differences you must know.  but once you know a few things, things like opening a message, reading and replying to it and deleting it are almost identical to Outlook Express.