Re: windows 10, jaws and thunderbird

Keith S

I was sighted when I first started using windows 95.  I lost my sight about 15 years ago.  I've used win 95, windows 98 and windows xp as a sighted person. 
Keith

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] windows 10, jaws and thunderbird

I'm not sure why that is.  What kind of instruction did you have in using Windows and Windows programs as a blind person?  If you were taught or used materials that just taught you to memorize se    quences of commands, then you will have a lot of unnecessary problems.  If you were taught to use Windows and Windows programs as a blind person in terms of structures, then you shouldn't have serious problems with change unless you have something like a learning disability. 

If you received poor instruction, I would strongly suggest working through good material such as that from Cathy Anne Murtha.  I don't know what, if any, other material teaches well in terms of structures.  Others may be able to discuss that.

As for your immediate problem, would you rather put Firefox on your XP computer or would you rather just switch to thunderbird now if you got good help with both options?

You should have little trouble with Firefox.  Browsing is just about identical.  Working with settings shouldn't cause you problems if you get a little explanation and you may not want to change any settings anyway.  It probably makes itself the default browser during installation or asks if it should be. 

I'm not going into these things to persuade you to use it, I'm explaining these things to help you decide. 

As I said, I don't think you will have a lot of trouble with Thunderbird if you get some discussion from list members.  You will probably want to learn more, the list discussion will probably just tell you things like how to open, reply, and do other basic tasks but the program isn't much different than Outlook Express, though there are some differences you must know.  but once you know a few things, things like opening a message, reading and replying to it and deleting it are almost identical to Outlook Express.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:19 PM

I have a very difficult time in adjusting to change.

I have a android smart phone that a lot of blind people say is easy to use, but I cannot get the hang of it.

Really sucks considering I built my own computer when I was sighted (back in windows 95 days)

Thanks

Keith
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 7:28 PM

One choice is to switch to the latest version of Chrome or Firefox that runs in XP.  Why are you clinging to Internet Explorer on any of your computers, regardless of which version of Windows is running?

Another choice is to just start using Thunderbird.  I would imagine there are tutorials but Thunderbird isn't that much different from Outlook Express and list members may be able, without too much explanation, to get you to the point where you can use the program even if you want to do more with it. 

For now, you can follow either of these options. But you seem to really cling to obsolete software.  Even Internet Explorer in Windows 10, though you can still use it on a lot of sites, is obsolete. I think clinging to obsolete programs is your much larger long term problem. 

Gene 
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 7:16 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] windows 10, jaws and thunderbird

Hello,

I am currently wasting a lot of time downloading my emails to my windows xp machine with OE, putting emails with links on them I wish to look into further (petitions, polls, etc) onto a thumb drive and then starting my windows 10 computer with jaws 2018 on it and opening the thumb drive on the win10 computer, clicking on the email I wish to look into further and having thunderbird open the email.

Because IE 6 on windows xp does not open any of the links in emails anymore, I have to do this (basically because I am still learning jaws and thunderbird)

In short, when I open the thumb drive, select the email and do what I want to do and then alt F4 to close the thunderbird window, and hit the delete key to delete the email I just read, I am pulled out of the folder I have the emails stored  in on the thumb drive and am pushed into  another folder on the thumb drive.

Hitting the backspace key does not move me back one layer, so to speak in the drive and neither does the alt left arrow key.

Also when I hit the control tab key combo jaws does not rotor and read the menu bar, so I am forced to hit the start key, hit F (I pinned a shortcut to the thumb drive on the  start menu, and then the thumb drive opens.

My win10 computer was not doing this before (meaning, not moving to another folder after hitting the delete key on a file)

What gives?

Any tutorials on using jaws and thunderbird?

Thanks

Keith

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.