From: Gene
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2018 10:55 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Can the Latest Winamp Get Data for Ripping CD's?

You said the old program.  Why not try the newest portable version.  Don't try the installed version.  It tries to install potentially unwanted programs along with CDEX but the portable version doesn't.  also, if you use the installed version, the dialog that lets you refuse the potentially unwanted programs is not accessible.  I have no idea why the drive isn't seen and I don't know if that is a general problem with USB drives or not.  Whatever the case, more comments from others would be useful.  At this point, it’s a mystery to me why the drive isn't detected since, as far as I know, once the USB connection is active, the computer displays the drive just as if it were an internal drive, assigning it a letter and working with it the same way.

It would be interesting to see if other ripping programs detect the drive.  Do you know how to rip using Windows Media Player?  That would be an interesting comparison.