Re: thunderbird question

Gerald Levy

Yes, I just discovered myself that F7 invokes the TB spell checker, although this command is not listed on the complete list of TB shortcuts:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts

Gerald

On 1/23/2019 10:40 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Gerald,

F7 does also work to invoke the spell checker in later versions of Thunderbird.  I think this is what is called an undocumented feature.  People who used to use Outlook Express naturally choose this keystroke by mistake, so maybe Thunderbird developers added this for convenience.

On 1/23/2019 7:39 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

First of all, the correct command for invoking the Thunderbird spell checker is Shift-Control-P, not F7 as in MS-based email clients.  Pressing f7 in Thunderbird is the command for selecting text with the keyboar, so I don't know exactly what happened when Shelley pressed F7 and somehow invoked a download of a language dictionary. It sounds like she may have inadvertently invoked the Thunderbird Add-On Manager, which is prompting her to download a language dictionary add-on.  I don't know how to get rid of this prompt when Thunderbird is opened, other than perhaps letting this add-on install and then removing it from the Add-On Manager.  The only other commands I can suggest trying are Control-F4 or Control-Tab    .

Gerald

On 1/23/2019 2:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't know why, but I looked up a help article on the language dictionaries and, as you will see if you read some of it, it is a completely different procedure than using f7.

All f7 does is run the spell checker.  It doesn't download dictionaries based on this detailed and involved discussion of how to do it.  I've never seen a spell checker try to download anything just because it is running.  As far as stopping it is concerned, I don't know if you can or not but maybe the easiest thing to do is just to let the program download them and then just let them sit there, or delete them after they have been downloaded.  I didn't look at this carefully, but it appears that this download option will open your browser and take you to the downloads page.  Maybe just closing the browser wil solve the problem.  Maybe downloading the dictionaries will solve it.

You may want to wait for more information from users but you don't have to worry about using f7 and not closing the spellchecker.  Something else caused you to see what you see.

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:22 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] thunderbird question

        Hi Group:

I was typing an email yesterday and used the spell checker.  I hit f7
and when I was done, I didn't close it fast enough and I got this thing
about downloading the language dictionaries.  I can still do emails but
that tries to download every time I get on the computer.  I have hit alt
4, control w, and escape and none of that works.  Is there a command for
this so this stops coming up when I open Thunderbird?  Thank you in advance.

Shelly

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"