Re: Hacking Into Notetakers

Mohamed

I think Hims products have the same issue for the most part. I remember a hack to get in and access the system files from within the unit, but I I can't quite recall the details. Something like typing /flashdisk/../ in the address bar, but even then I think you encounter the same issue.

On 1/24/2019 4:35 AM, George Zaynoun wrote:
What about Hims products?
Original message:

Unfortunately, even if you do get access to the unit's files from within the unit itself, and you can, you just have to know where to look, the notetakers I've tested do not allow you to copy most system files. You'd need to extract them from an image, such as a software update. The Apex, for example, seems to have its ROM stored in a file called everest_kernel.bex, located in the HWI, though I've never figured out how to extract it. As far as I know you'd need to extract the files from a working unit.

On 1/23/2019 11:56 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,
No, it might not be possible unless you’re willing to capture ROM images by opening up the notetaker casing or a hex dumper. The reason why you won’t see the “other disk” you speak of is because that “system disk” is not really a disk at all – it is a ROM image. In Windows CE, the “Windows” directory that resides in that “system disk” is really an instruction for the operating system to access the ROM image (does this sound familiar? I talked about ROM images a lot back in the old days).
If you’d like to have an emulated ROM image for these notetakers, this might not be the venue for it – you should really contact HumanWare and/or HIMS if you pursue such activities, as they’re the ones who can give you an authoritative answer (although I was once considered a notetaker expert, I’m not an authority on ROM image creation).
Cheers,
Joseph
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jack And Becky
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:02 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Hacking Into Notetakers
I am with you guys Totally on this one! Love to see these things get a new lease on life so to speak !! Jack and Bex
On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com <mailto:joshknnd1982@gmail.com>> wrote:
this would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to preserve old notetakers such as the brailleNote classic by making a complete image of its storeage drive and OS and software and firmware including its text to speech, and then run it inside an emulator in windows 10.
Josh