Re: Did a clean install of Win 10 without upgrading

Carlos

Well yes, that is logical for a standard clean installation. I was just a bit surprised that it worked with a dual boot clean installation.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Blaster Nil8" <blaster.nil8@gmail.com>
To: <TechTalk@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2015 10:55 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Did a clean install of Win 10 without upgrading

This link may explain why that worked. It's just slightly different.

In the article you'll find this excerpt.:

For those who are anxious to do a clean install, here's the trick:

Don't do the online upgrade.

Instead, from your current, activated copy of Windows 7 or Windows
8.1, download the Windows 10 ISO file for the corresponding edition
(Home or Pro), or create a bootable USB flash drive. Without exiting
your current Windows version, double-click the ISO to mount it as a
virtual DVD (or open the USB flash drive with installation media) and
then double-click Setup.

Your goal is to get to the screen with this full range of options:

clean-install.jpg

Choose the option I've highlighted at the bottom: the one that says
you want to keep nothing. The Windows 10 Setup program installs a
clean copy of the edition that corresponds to the one you have
installed. As part of the process, it verifies the activation status
of your old Windows, creates the new license certificate, and blows
away your previous install. And you never had to enter a product key.

Here's the full article:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-quietly-rewrites-its-activation-rules-for-windows-10/

Blaster

On 11/13/15, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
Interesting that you did not need your product key when installing it in a
dual boot configuration. Perhaps it simply detects that there is an
existing qualifying Windows installation on the system and allows it based
on this fact.