Re: Hi Jack ing phone numbers

Timothy Mok

Hi,

This phone hijacking business is called spoofing. It is done by a lot of crime syndicates using VOIP technology. When I was working as a telephone operator at HSBC Bank, I fielded lots of calls from customers who complained that they received calls from HSBC or Bank Negara (that’s the central bank of Malaysia) asking customers to confirm their banking or credit card details. The only way these calls can be traced by the policing authorities is while the call is still on. These scams are a-plenty and unsuspecting customers have lost lots of money through them. I’ve tuned myself to be suspicious with all such calls purportedly coming from the bank or government authorities as bogus calls. Don’t entertain them.    The safest way is to find out the correct number of the agency that supposedly called you and call them to confirm the veracity of the call you received.

Tim.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:21 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Hi Jack ing phone numbers

People can send information as caller ID information to make any call appear to come from anywhere.  Nothing is being done with your number itself.  The solicitors are simply making a call appear to come from your number by having the information sent as caller ID information with the digits of your number.  It doesn't mean anything.  It could be anyone's number.

If you want to report it, you may but what's the point?  Who is going to track down and try to prosecute all these people, many of whom aren't even calling from in the United States.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 7:16 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] Hi Jack ing phone numbers

Today I got three phone calls, from my own phone number, that were a
recording perported to be Microsoft warning me about something wrong
with my IP address.  And telling me that my service would end in a
matter of hours.

My question:  How in the world can they hijack my own phone number to
make such a call?  Can I complain to my VOIP provider? I sure would like
to stop them.

Howard

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.