I'm thinking that this system could be based on the old original DECtalk which had some telephone functions.  However, I don't know if it can generate a ringing voltage for a landline phone instrument.

Does anyone have any insite into these old DECtalks?  I have several of them and would sure like to make use of (at least) one.

Howard

On 3/13/2019 11:04 AM, Evan Reese wrote:
We have an old LG flip phone that speaks the number of who’s calling. It will also speak the name of the person who’s calling if it’s put into the Contacts. Unfortunately though, that had to be done by a sighted person because the menus themselves are not spoken.
Evan

From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Hi Jack ing phone numbers

You could get the seventeen dollar answering machine I discussed that announces phone numbers.  It doesn't announce names but for seventeen dollars, you can't go very wrong, even if it isn't ideal.  And if you don't recognize the number, you can wait to see if the person leaves a message.

As far as cellular phones are concerned, maybe it isn't accessible on your phone but properly accessible phhones speak such information when the phone displays it.

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:09 AM

I don't have any sort= of caller id on either my cellphone or my landline,
so I'm stuck.  Pam.