Re: Hi Jack ing phone numbers

Pamela Dominguez

Yes, there sure have always been phone scams probably as long as there were phones, and people to use them. But what you described is what I meant when I said the words "dial it up", and that if you can count, you can do it. That's the way they did it, back then. Pam.

-----Original Message-----
From: brian
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:58 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Hi Jack ing phone numbers

About 20 years ago or so I tried a work at home job for a window
company. I was told to spend 2 hours per day making calls telling
callers that I was with this company and ask them if they are instered
in setting up an apoinment to have somone out to their hometo try to
sell them windows for their home. The thing that I was told to do was
just call every phone number in order in my exchange. Of course if you
do that you will come acrost unlisted phone numbers. My town had an old
style phone system at that time and all of the phone numbers started
with 5258 so I started with 8001 8002 8003 and so on. I did notfinish
the whole exchange. If I had I would have to go up to 8999. I think
that is what audo dialers do although I think thatthey look for working
numbers. Because I was dialing every number manually I did come acrost
lots of non working numbers. I would then just move on to the next
number in sequence. I don't even know ifthe window company was real or
a scam or not. I never got paid and I only gave the man who hired me 2
contacts and I never heard from if the people ever bought any windows
for their home or not. What I am trying to say is that phone scams are
nothing new they were just not as many as they are today. The only
thing that an unlisted number does is that your number is not publihed
and you can't get it by calling information. There have always been ways
to phone scam you it's just much worse now.

Brian Sackrider

On 3/13/2019 11:01 AM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
They did that a long time ago. Back in the sixties or seventies, my mother was told by somebody she challenged for calling her unlisted number, that they are given an exchange, and told to just dial it up. If you can count, you can do it. If you happen to hit an unlisted number, that's the breaks, so to speak. That was the old-fashioned version of today's random-number generating computer programs. But it still came out to the same thing. You could get called, even if your number was unlisted. But it was still a good idea to have an unlisted number, because a person couldn't just look it up and call you, even if you didn't want to hear from that person. Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:27 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I do get these types of calls now and then at work, and, in recent times, on
my cell phone as well. I basically ignore them and move on; I don't recall
the first or last time I attempted or tried to call myself. So, in my view,
if I'm not doing it, I don't care what source it comes from, I just won't
answer the call. Fortunately, I do have caller-id's at both ends!

There's so much talk about privacy, and it's all good. I knew a guy who had
an unpublished number back in the day. Still, he got subscription calls
from Denver Post and the now defunct Rocky Mountain News. He was always
shocked as to how either newspaper got his number. I used to tell him that
he was wasting scarce rsources paying an extra dime to the phone company for
an unpublished number. Since computer software can be manipulated to pick
any set of numbers at random from a particular exchange, it's a matter of
time before my number gets a hit.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado