Re: How do I do an emergency shut down with windows 10?

James Bentley

Hi Gerald and list,

Well, Gerald, The MS Disability desk agrees with you concerning holding down the power button for a few seconds to do a hard shut down.  But, I still am not quite convinced.

I mean no disrespect to Microsoft or especially to you Gerald, but, I have corrupted Windows on two different Win7 pc’s so bad that Win7 had to be reinstalled.  This happened after holding the power button down for around 7 seconds to force a shut down.

I do realize that if windows freezes, then, there is no other option but to do the forced shut down.

So, I still do not have a definitive answer but, the next time Windows only gives me the option to first update before shutting down, I will hold down the shift key while hitting enter on the update and shutdown button.

Thanks for your post.

James B

: Gerald Levy via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:00 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I do an emergency shut down with windows 10?

You can always use the tried and trued method of quickly shutting down your computer:  pressing and holding the power button.  While shutting down a computer this way was a problem on older machines, it is much safer nowadays on a Windows 10 system, especially if you close all running applications first.  And placing your system as far away from a window as possible will minimize the potential for damage from a lightning strike.

Gerald

On 3/14/2019 7:39 AM, James Bentley wrote:
With printers, scanners, sound systems, and more, Digging around and unplugging every thing for two computer systems quickly is not an option for me.  And, I have often heard that handling cables and wireing is not such a good idea when strong lightning  is in the immediate area.  I’m afraid that a quick shut down seems to be my only choice.

I have decided to call MS tech support to find out if they have a rapid shut down option for me.  Surely businesses with hundreds of PC’s are not stuck waiting for updates when strong lightning is in the immediate area.

Thanks again,

James B

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:01 AM

First of all, James, you're very welcome, and now that I have a clear picture of your situation I have a few more solutions for you. Well when it comes to shutting down a computer, and having to wait on windows updates, I don't know how long it would take to update windows and shut down, unless it is a very large windows update. The following may work quite well for you. You can purchase uninterupted power supply that will supply power for an hour or longer. Without more information I can't suggest which one for you to get. Hopefully other honest people in your area can help. This means that with a power supply you can unplug the power supply from the wall, and your computer will continue to operate for an hour or longer. This is important, you must choose an uninterupted power supply big enough to do this. If the other concern is static electricity then you can  do something I've thought about doing over the years, and that is to turn the place your living in, into a faraday cage. If you do you it and do it right you'll have absolutely no problems with static electricity.It's good to hear that you have all your equipment plugged into surge protectors. That is one thing that all the uninterupted power supplys have. In fact the business I'm in depends on safety, security and reliability. One last thing, anybody connected to the internet with an eithernet cable when a thunder storm just starts to brewing, should  have away to unplug the eithernet cable from the internet. Happy and safe computing. If you have any other questions, just ask. you can contact me at

greenwood33@...
or you could visit us at
Wayne

Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 1:54 AM

Hi Wayne and all,

Fortunately, all of my systems here are wireless.  So, my concerns are limited to being able to do a rapid shut down of all computers as fast as possible.

I will experiment with your suggestion concerning changing what the power button does.  But, I do kind of have the feeling that Windows is just going to install the updates before shutting down.  There goes my chances for a rapid shut down while massive lightning bolts are hitting power lines, cable/internet lines, etc..

It may sound a bit like I am exaggerating but I have lived 83 feet up on a hill for around 24 years.  All of my long time neighbors can attest to multiple lightning strikes and thousands of dollars of fried electronics over the years.  I use $75.00, to $100.00, surge protectors on every thing but the static electricity in the air  is still occasionally quite strong.

I am starting to wonder why Microsoft hasn’t considered the possibility that their customers might need to do a rapid shut down of their computers.  I can understand why some are sticking with Win7 while MS slowly irons out more wrinkles in Win10.

Wayne, thanks for your advice and offer for further assistance.

Regards,

James B

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:55 AM

James, when it comes to shutting down computers in the beginning of a thunder storm, to keep your computers as safe as possible, I feel that these are somethings you should do. Have an uninterupted power supply on each of the computers. There are different uninterupted power supplys. If your computers are wired via eithernet cable then you can buy an uninterupted power supply wi the eithernet ports for extra protection. In addition you can buy an eithernet kill switch to take them offline. Of course the absolute safest thing to do is, if it's convenient or if you could arrange for it to be convenient is to unplug that eithernet cable from the computer. Put it away from the computer in a glass container, however if your computers are wireless connected the eithernet cable cautions won't apply. Lightning is a very powerful thing, and I'm sad to hear that you lost a computer due to the thunder storm. As far as being able to shut down the computer quickly, however I'm not sure what would happen if you adjusted your power  management settings to shut down your computer when you tap the power button. I believe that it will go ahead and shut down properly in about 5 or 10 seconds. The thing I don't know is if you have pending updates if it would bring that up before it shuts down. That would be something to try, during times when there isn't a thunder storm.If it does bring up a dialog wanting you to install updates before you shut down then you definitely need that uninterupted power supply. and also a wireless connection so you can get that done. If you need to contact me,
greenwood33@...
Wayne 
----- Original Message -----
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:06 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] How do I do an emergency shut down with windows 10?

Hi all,

Several times now, I have run to all of my computers to quickly shut them down because a very strong thunderstorm is hitting my area.

Occasionally, Win10 does not give me the option to shutdown.  Sometimes, I only get the option to install updates and then shut down.  That takes a lot of time and we have very strong thunderstorms that hit with little or no warning.

I lost a desktop in July because I did not get to it fast enough.

I maybe could do a forced shut down.  But, I have heard for years now, that forced shut downs have a small risk of corrupting data.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

James B

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.