From: Chris G
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 6:19 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] firefox download complete notification

There still is an add-on for Firefox, it is called Download Sound.  You can have it play a sound or announce a message with Text To Speech.  It works in the latest Firefox versions.

There is an extension for Chrome as well.

On 3/17/2019 12:07 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know if there is any way now.  I think there used to be an add-on but that may not be compatible with newer versions of Firefox.  But you can easily know how close a download is to finishing.  When you start a download, use the command control j to open the page showing downloads.  You will be in a list.  Your current download will be at the top, if you have to move in the list to be on it.

You can use the read current line command to hear information such as the time already passed, estimated remaining time, and the speed of the download.  When the download completes, you won't hear words like download complete when you check, you will hear open containing folder after information about the file is given.

Also, if you leave the downloads window opened during the download, but you want to close the rest of the opened firefox windows, you can and the download will continue.

If a download fails, you can attempt the download again by opening the downloads window with control j when you are in Firefox, then moving to the file you want to download in the list, opening the context menu, and trying the download again.  You don't have to go to the page and begin the download again from there.
The new download will again be at the top of the list.  The previous attempt will still be in the list so go to the top after you begin the download again to see information.