Re: Openbook 9 and a Epson Scanner

Mike B.

Hi Wayne & All,

Okay, this is what happened.  I got some sighted help at the other end so, we found that the scanner would work correctly using Windows Fax & Scan or using the buttons on the scanner.  So, we uninstalled / reinstalled OB9, we unplugged the USB cable from the computer and plugged it into a different USB port, and the damn thing still wouldn't work correctly, it would keep scanning!  So, we chose the Epson driver without the WIA in device selection, and in device selection properties we checked a box, Allow scanner to finish when cancelling a scan.  Well, I'll be damned, Openbook and the scanner are now both working perfectly!  Thank you all for your input.

From: wayne
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Openbook 9 and a Epson Scanner

One more thing to try with your scanner, if it's a usb 2.0 scanner then make sure it's plugged into a 2.0 port. and one more thing, if you have more than 1 2.0 ports try a few different ones because I've seen 2.0 ports fail. If it is a 2.0 scanner and it's connected to a  usb 3.0 port this could be the whole promblem. Usually usb 3.0 devices will work in a 2.0 device but you won't get the best performance, however I have some usb 2.0 devices that will not work in a usb 3.0 pport. This is a long shot, but has happened, That the software may have gotten installed but for some reason the install went a little crazy, actually since were're talking about open book it seemed like that happened a few times, but  it was a long time ago, so I can't be too sure.
Wayne