Re: bank account.

Gerald Levy

Actually, there are credit unions in the UK, but they are very different from credit unions in the US and have their own rules and regulations.  Credit unions are a reasonable alternative as long as you don't mind making cash withdrawals from an ATM, because they tend to have very few branch offices where you can bank in person.  If you are uncomfortable with using an ATM because of security concerns, or the credit union does not have accessible ATM's near you in its network, then you would be better off with a traditional bank where you can make cash deposits and withdrawals from a teller window and get assistance from live employees.  I prefer to do my banking in person at my local branch.  The teller greets me by name and helps me fill out the deposit or withdrawal slip, and counts out the cash in front of me so I know that I am not being shortchanged.  Of course, I recount it myself to double check.  And any time I have a problem, I can speak to the branch manager, who also knows me personally, and is always eager to help.

Gerald

On 3/28/2019 1:41 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
Billy, you probably don't have credit unions in the U.K. The closest to it
might be co-operative associations that have banking operations.

So, unless you live in the U.S., possibly Canada, you can't JOIN A CREDIT
UNION! With a credit union, each member is considered a "stockholder" even
though the stock held may be insignificant. Then of course there's a small
membership fee, typically between $5/$10. There are other rules, but they
won't be necessary to discuss in this space since these won't apply to your
situation.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado