Re: Portable NLS players besides a Smart Phone

Gerald Levy

Your friend is not alone.  A lot of blind folks want nothing to do with smart phones because they are expensive, do not have tactile keypads and have a steep learning curve.

Gerald

On 3/29/2019 3:26 PM, Lisa Belville wrote:
Oh yes, I tried praising the uses of a smart phone for being more than a phone, but he's not interested.

thank you for the information.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

On 3/29/2019 2:09 PM, Victor wrote:
Hi Gerald:

Thank you for answering our question. This is yet another reason why I personally prefer smart phones and tablets over traditional laptop and desktop computers. Just my opinion.

Thanks again,

Victor
On Mar 29, 2019, at 12:06 PM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

No, NLS books cannot be played on a computer.  Besides the Victor Stream, the Book Port Plus from APH, which sells for $340, can play NLS Talking Books (see link below).  It is unfortunate that the NLS underestimated demand for the advanced DTB player, which they no longer manufacture, and so there is ashortage of them. Basic players are now being substituted by some network libraries for advanced players that are returned for repair.

http://shop.aph.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_Book+Port+Plus_1-07191-00P_10001_11051

Gerald

On 3/29/2019 2:47 PM, Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a friend who recently sent in his advanced NLS player and got back the basic one.  He hates the basic one, and is wondering if there are ways to play BARD books on his PC.  I told him there probably wasn't, but I thought I'd check with the list first.

Since he probably won't be able to use his PC, is there another portable option besides the Victor?  A smart phone isn't even a consideration, so it's going to have to be a blindness specific product.

TIA,

Lisa