Re: Portable NLS players besides a Smart Phone

Lenron

I don't know about a lot. Most of us get on just fine with smart
phones. Even some of the older people I know.

On 3/29/19, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Your friend is not alone.  A lot of blind folks want nothing to do with
smart phones because they are expensive, do not have tactile keypads and
have a steep learning curve.

Gerald

On 3/29/2019 3:26 PM, Lisa Belville wrote:
Oh yes, I tried praising the uses of a smart phone for being more than
a phone, but he's not interested.

thank you for the information.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

On 3/29/2019 2:09 PM, Victor wrote:
Hi Gerald:

Thank you for answering our question. This is yet another reason why
I personally prefer smart phones and tablets over traditional laptop
and desktop computers. Just my opinion.

Thanks again,

Victor
On Mar 29, 2019, at 12:06 PM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io
<bwaylimited=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

No, NLS books cannot be played on a computer.  Besides the Victor
Stream, the Book Port Plus from APH, which sells for $340, can play
NLS Talking Books (see link below).  It is unfortunate that the NLS
underestimated demand for the advanced DTB player, which they no
longer manufacture, and so there is ashortage of them. Basic players
are now being substituted by some network libraries for advanced
players that are returned for repair.

http://shop.aph.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_Book+Port+Plus_1-07191-00P_10001_11051

Gerald

On 3/29/2019 2:47 PM, Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a friend who recently sent in his advanced NLS player and
got back the basic one.  He hates the basic one, and is wondering
if there are ways to play BARD books on his PC.  I told him there
probably wasn't, but I thought I'd check with the list first.

Since he probably won't be able to use his PC, is there another
portable option besides the Victor?  A smart phone isn't even a
consideration, so it's going to have to be a blindness specific
product.

TIA,

Lisa

--