Re: Portable NLS players besides a Smart Phone

Jim Wohlgamuth

Victor, like you, my phone and tablet have become an extension of my 'left hand' and my first phone was an iPhone and soon I needed a new challenge so went to the Android where I have been since 2011 or there about.  I also have an Android tablet which I use for listening to audio books on as well.  I recently obtained a used Victor reader stream which doesn't seem to get quite the use of my phone although I do use it.  Also like you, I am a technology lover and the greater the challenge the more I am going to try and conquer that challenge!

Catch Ya Later! de

<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

On 29-Mar-19 16:35, Victor wrote:
Well, that makes sense. Listening to Bard books on a PC would make distributing those books illegally very easy.

As for smart phones and tablets, I had a pretty easy time learning the iPhone and the iPad. I’m not sure why some have difficulties, and I’m not sure why it seems to be even harder for some blind people. Maybe it’s a matter of dexterity. Maybe it’s a matter of finger sensitivity as well. I think it also depends on how interested you are in learning these things. If you love technology like I do, you don’t mind learning these new gadgets. My iPhone has become an extension of my brain and body.

Victor

On Mar 29, 2019, at 1:20 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

No, there is no way to listen to a Library of Congress audio format book using a computer.  I suspect this is to make it easier to distribut such material without publishers complaining.  If it could be done, its very likely hackers would do it and sighted people would start using the books.  The law in the United States is that the books must not be in an ccessible format for sighted people, only for blind people to be made available without asking publishers for permission.

As long as that condition is met, anyone can share books, with blind people.Blind people can share books person to person, organizations can share with blind people, etc.