Re: Can I get rid of the ribbon with Windows 7?

joanne

Hi Ann. I actually wish I had a trainer who could show me in-depth how to use ribbons. The menus just look so hard to understand, and then I'll hear things like upper ribbon and lower ribbon, etc. and I feel lost and not sure which column I need. I'm just one of those who has always used the list views and traditional menus, and I don't feel like this has been explained thoroughly to me. You're a good instructor, I know, because your posts are so thoughtful and helpful. You're most likely doing a great job explaining them to your clients. I just haven't really hit on an explanation that makes sense. I even use the old windows live mail because the newer ones had ribbons and it looked so hard to navigate.

That's really it. Maybe it's some kind of visual thing I can't wrap my mind around. But I'm open and have pretty much taught myself computer. If anyone can explain these things and even why it had to be changed to ribbons in the first place, I'll try them.

From: "Ann Parsons" <akp@...>
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 11:35 AM
To: <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Can I get rid of the ribbon with Windows 7?

Hi all,

I'm just curious. What is it about ribbons you don't understand? I'm asking as a trainer because I may need to help somebody some day who doesn't understand ribbons. I want to know how to minimize the misunderstanding. I want to know how to explain ribbons so that anyone can understand. Why don't you understand them? I'm asking as a serious question.

As a person who is blind, the appearance of the ribbons can't be what's throwing you. To a screen reader they just sound like menus except that you navigate them in a different way.

I'm not saying that you must use ribbons, I'm just interested in why you don't like or understand them. Jaws has virtual ribbons if you find that helpful as well, though I'd really like to understand your problem. Would you be willing to help a trainer to understand your thinking?

Ann P.