Re: question about next door

Sandra Streeter

Thank you—I’m saving this so I can play with the program. Sounds pretty neat.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2019 9:46 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] question about next door

Hi Sandra,

Are you asking about Flexible Web?  If so, here you go:

Flexible Web
Frequently, you will encounter Web pages that contain a lot of excess content which can make it difficult to locate the actual content you want, or interupts
the flow

when reading. For instance, many sites contain Google ad frames. These can be troublesome for JAWS users as they disrupt the reading order of surrounding
content.

Flexible Web enables you to take more control of Web pages by allowing you to quickly find the content you are looking for, as well as hide content that
interrupts the

reading experience. You can hide sections of content, such as Google ad frames or other types of unnecessary content, for a smoother reading experience.
In addition,

you could have JAWS begin reading at a level one heading, or ARIA main region, as these may contain the most interesting content.

To use Flexible Web, open a Web page you want to customize in Internet Explorer or Firefox. Then, move the Virtual PC Cursor to the page element you want
to hide, or

from where you want to start reading when the page first loads. Activate the Flexible Web wizard by pressing the layered keystroke INSERT+SPACEBAR, X.
Alternatively,

press INSERT+F2 to open the Run JAWS Manager dialog box, then choose Flexible Web.

Through several easy-to-follow steps, The Flexible Web wizard that opens provides you with two options: hide, or start reading at the selected element.
The wizard then

guides you through the process of creating a temporary customization by giving you various choices about the selected element and how you want to hide
it or from where

exactly to start reading. Once the customization has been made, it is immediately applied to the page. For instance, if you choose to hide all frames containing

advertisements, you will not see any advertisements when navigating the page after making this temporary customization.

If you are not happy with how a customization is working, you can open the Flexible Web wizard to undo the last customization you made. When you return
to the page,

you can choose a different element or the same one, then reactivate the Flexible Web wizard to retry the customization again perhaps with different criteria.
For

example, in the case of hiding those advertisement frames mentioned earlier, you probably want to hide all of them, not just the first one on the page.
The wizard will

provide you with choices about whether to hide just the first one or all of them.

You can create as many customizations for a page as you want. Once you have created one or more customizations, you can save them as a rule, which is applied
every

time you load the particular page or site. To indicate that a rule has been applied to a page, JAWS plays a sound after the page loads. Rules can be applied
to the

current Web page, entire Web site, or globally for all Web sites. Otherwise, customizations are only temporary and are lost as soon as you navigate away
from the

current Web page or close the browser. If you have made temporary customizations and you attempt to navigate to another page or close the browser, a dialog
box opens

asking if you want to save your customizations as a rule.

Creating Customizations and Rules
Following is an example of a situation where you might use Flexible Web to improve the reading experience on a Web page.

You frequently visit a news Web site where you would like to have JAWS start reading at the beginning of the article, which is the first level one heading
on the page.

Between the heading and the beginning of the text is an annoying frame called Social containing links to various social Web sites that you do not want
to hear or read.

You would first create two temporary customizations that start reading at the first level 1 heading and hide all frames named Social. You would then save
these as a

rule which will be applied each time you load a page from this Web site.

Creating Temporary Customizations
To customize this site so JAWS starts reading at the first level one heading and ignores the Social frame, do the following:

Move the Virtual PC Cursor to the first level one heading which contains the title of the article and press INSERT+SPACEBAR, X to open the Flexible Web
wizard. By

default, the Create new customization radio button is selected.
Choose Next and you are prompted with the type of customization you want to create. Select Start reading at an element, then choose Next.
You are now asked what element you want to customize. The first item in the list is the level one heading containing the article title. Since this is the
element where

you want JAWS to start reading, choose Next.
In the list box, select a customization. In this case, select the option Start reading at heading 1, 1 from the top. This is because you want this customization

work for every article on the site, not just the current one.
Choose Finish and you are returned to the page.
Move the Virtual PC Cursor to the frame called Social and press INSERT+SPACEBAR, X to open the Flexible Web wizard again. Since a customization has already
been

created, there are now several radio buttons that have become available, including Retry, Undo, and Save temporary customizations as a rule. However, the
default radio

button is still Create a new customization, so choose Next.
Select Hide an element, then choose Next.
From the list of elements you can customize, choose the Social frame, then choose Next.
In the list of possible choices for how to hide the selected element, select Hide all frames named Social. This hides all frames with the name Social no
matter where

they appear on the page.
Choose Finish to return to the page. As you navigate the page, the virtual buffer will no longer show the Social frame between the title of the article
and its text.
Note: Customizations only apply for the current browser window or tab. This allows you to have the same page open in two browser windows at the same time
so you can

try customizations on one page, while leaving the other one unchanged.

Retrying a Customization
If you are not completely satisfied with how a customization is working, you can undo the customization and try creating it again. For instance, you may
have created

the customization using the wrong element.

To retry a customization, do the following:

Move the Virtual PC cursor to the element on the page you want to customize and press INSERT+SPACEBAR, X to open the Flexible Web wizard.
Select the Retry radio button and choose Next.
The most recent customization you made is deleted. Follow the steps in the wizard to create a new customization.
If you want to delete the last customization you made without creating a new one, press INSERT+SPACEBAR, X to open the Flexible Web wizard and choose the
Undo radio

button. Select Finish to remove the customization and return to the Web page.

Saving One or More Temporary Customizations as a Rule
Currently,the customizations you made in this example are temporary. To save them as a permenant rule, do the following:

Press INSERT+SPACEBAR, X to open the Flexible Web wizard. Select the Save temporary customizations as a rule radio button, then choose Next.
In the Rule name edit field, enter a name for the rule, for example, "News Article Web Site".
Press TAB to move to the checkable list of customizations that will be included in the rule. By default, all customizations are selected. You can exclude

customization from the rule by pressing the SPACEBAR to clear its check mark.
Press TAB to move to the How would you like this rule to apply combo box. The available choices are Globally, To the current site, or To the current page.
The default

option is To the current site. If you want to apply the rule to the current page (such as the home page of a site), or globally, so it applies to all sites,
move up or

down through the combo box to select the option you want. In our example, we will choose the default so that the rule is applied to any page within the
current site.
Choose Finish to create the new rule.
Now, when ever you visit any page on this site, JAWS will begin reading at the first level 1 heading and all frames named Social will not appear in the
virtual view.

Rules are browser specific. This means that if you save rules for a page in Internet Explorer then access the same page in Firefox, the rules you created
will not

work. You will need to create the rule again in Firefox.

Managing Rules
You can manage rules by opening the Flexible Web wizard and choosing View and change where rules apply. In the dialog box that opens, you can rename, delete,

enable,disable, or move existing rules from one page or site to another without having to re-create the entire rule.

The Flexible Web viewer dialog box contains a tree view and a checkable list view. The tree view lists the sites and pages for which you have saved Flexible
Web rules.

The top level is Global, level one is Current site, and level two is Current page. The list view shows all rules. Every rule has a check mark next to it.
If a rule is

supposed to be executed for a current location in the tree view, the rule is checked, otherwise it is unchecked.

For example, let’s say that you have created three different rules: "Rule A" to be applied globally for all sites, “Rule B” for google.com, and “Rule C”
for a specific

page on cnn.com. If Global is selected in the tree, you will find that only “Rule A” will be checked in the list of rules, which means that no matter how
many saved

rules there are, only “Rule A” will run on every single page.

If the currently selected item in the tree is google.com, then both “Rule A” and “Rule B” will be checked. “Rule A” is checked for google.com because it
is supposed to

run on all sites and “Rule B” is checked, because it was saved specifically for google.com. “Rule C” is not checked because it was saved for one of the
pages on

cnn.com and therefore does not apply to google.com.

From the list of rules, you can enable or disable rules as well as delete, rename, or view properties of the selected rule.

Enabling or Disabling a Rule
To enable or disable a rule for a site or page, do the following:

From the browser where you have created Flexible Web rules, press INSERT+SPACEBAR, X to open the Flexible Web wizard.
Choose the View and change where rules apply radio button.
Move to the Finish button and press ENTER. This closes the wizard and opens a viewer that contains a treeview. Its root is Global, its level 1 branch is
Current site,

and its level 2 branch is Current page. The default location when the Viewer opens is Global.
Navigate the tree, opening the Current Site or Current page branch as desired. Each branch will include the name of the site or page of a site.
From the desired site or page whose rules you want to examine, press TAB to move to the next control. This is a checkable list view of rules. If the currently
selected

rule is being applied to the current page or site, it will be checked. Otherwise, any rules that appear in the list will be unchecked.
If the rule is currently checked – that is, it is applied to the current page, site, or globally, and you just want to disable it without deleting it,
then uncheck the

rule by pressing SPACEBAR. Otherwise, if the rule is unchecked – that is, it is not applied to the current page or site, but you do wish to apply it, then
check it by

pressing SPACEBAR.
When you are finished, press TAB to move to the Close button and press ENTER.
Deleting a Rule
To delete a rule, do the following:

From the browser where you have created Flexible Web rules, press INSERT+SPACEBAR, X to open the Flexible Web wizard.
Choose the View and change where rules apply radio button and press ENTER.
When the Flexible Web viewer opens, press TAB to move to the list of rules.
Navigate to the rule you want to delete and press the DELETE Key. Alternatively, press the APPLICATIONS Key to open the context menu and choose Delete.
When asked if

you want to continue, choose Yes to delete the rule, or No to cancel the deletion.
Caution: If you choose Yes, the rule will be deleted and you will have to recreate it in order to use it again. This also means that if there were multiple
sites or

pages that were using this rule, they will no longer run it as well. If you need to temporarily stop a rule from being applied for a specific page or site,
simply

clear its check mark instead of deleting it. You can then select it again when you need it.

When you are finished, press TAB to move to the Close button and press ENTER.
Renaming a Rule
To rename a rule, do the following:

From the browser where you have created Flexible Web rules, press INSERT+SPACEBAR, X to open the Flexible Web wizard.
Choose the View and change where rules apply radio button and press ENTER.
When the Flexible Web viewer opens, press TAB to move to the list of rules.
Navigate to the rule you want to rename and press F2 to rename the rule. Alternatively, you can press the APPLICATIONS Key to open the context menu and
choose Rename.

This opens a dialog box where you can edit the name of the rule similar to renaming a file in Windows Explorer.
Edit the rule name then press ENTER to confirm the change or ESC to cancel.
When you are finished, press TAB to move to the Close button and press ENTER.
Viewing the Customizations in a Rule
To view the list of customizations that are included in a rule, do the following:

From the browser where you have created Flexible Web rules, press INSERT+SPACEBAR, X to open the Flexible Web wizard.
Choose the View and change where rules apply radio button and press ENTER.
When the Flexible Web viewer opens, press TAB to move to the list of rules.
Navigate to the rule you want to view, then press the APPLICATIONS Key to open the context menu and choose Properties.
When the Properties dialog box opens, you are on a read-only control that shows the name of the current rule whose settings you wish to examine. For example,
you may

have set several temporary customizations as a single rule. Therefore, the properties for the rule will include the various customizations made for that
rule. Press

TAB to move to the properties list and use the ARROW keys to navigate the list of properties associated with the rule.
When you are done examining the properties of the current rule, press TAB to move to the Close button and press ENTER to return to the viewer. Select the
Close button

once more to exit the viewer and return to the browser.
Using Other JAWS Features on a Web Page Where Flexible Web Rules are Applied
Where applicable, other JAWS features such as PlaceMarkers, Custom Page Summary, and Personalized Settings will continue to be in effect for a page where
Flexible Web

rules have been applied to it. This depends on whether a setting applied as a Flexible Web rule conflicts with a setting that is not a Flexible Web rule.
For example,

if you have created a PlaceMarker for a page that is located on an element that has now been hidden because a Flexible Web rule has been applied to that
page, the

PlaceMarker will not be found when you attempt to move to it.

For pages that automatically update information frequently, any Flexible Web rules applied will still be in effect as the page updates. Additionally, if
a page

automatically sets focus to a control, such as an edit field for searching, this takes precedence over any rules that start reading at a specific element.

When selecting and copying text from a Web page where Flexible Web rules have been applied, if Select and Copy Full Content Using Onscreen Highlight is
selected in

Quick Settings, all content is copied, including any hidden content that was included in the selection. If you do not want to include any hidden content
when

selecting, choose the Select and Copy from Virtual Cursor option.

Turning Off Flexible Web
Flexible Web is on by default. To turn it off so rules are not applied when pages load, do the following:

Press INSERT+F2, and select Settings Center.
Press CTRL+SHIFT+D to load the JAWS default settings.
In the Search edit box, type "Flexible Web" without the quotes.
Press DOWN ARROW to move to Flexible Web in the filtered search results in the tree view.
Next, press SPACEBAR to enable or disable Flexible Web.

Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2019 5:29 PM

Guessing that, although I haven’t yet tried it, using JAWS SmartWeb or whatever it’s called could gray out the stuff we wouldn’t want to have to arrow through?

BTW, would someone send basic instructions for using the above-mentioned JAWS web thing? I have JAWS 2019. Thanks!