Re: website question

Shelly Kane

Thank you so much for clearing things up for me.  I am definitely looking for something like this.  I use Jaws and I will have to get google chrome since I'm using internet explorer.  I have never used yammer before so hopefully I will be able to figure it out. The only question I have is what happens if you don't have a pay pal account?  Thanks again.

Shelly

On 5/3/2019 11:11 AM, Vicky Collins wrote:
Since we're still talking accessibility here, at least in part, I'll just go ahead and respond on this list.

You complete the sign-up form on their site to activate your account, and that form is indeed accessible as I check just now. When I went to the site just now, I clicked on the join as transcriptionist link, then clicked on the join our team, and then the registration form came up, although I'm sure one can get there other ways. Being retired and having no prior transcription experience, I chose the unemployed and less one year choices in the combo boxes for those options.

Once you create your account and sign in, including giving your PayPal email address to receive payment for your work once you've made at least $20 and opt to withdraw your funds, you will then get access to an exams link, which shows a list of exams, including the English entrance exam you will be required to complete before transcribing any file. When you click on that Exams link, below each exam listed, you will then see a check exam info link showing documents you will need to read before completing the exam, and one of those will be the style guide that describes all the specifications you will need to use when transcribing files for TranscribeMe. The documents are PDF ones, but I had no problem reading them or completing the exam. There are also training videos, and I was given links to them after signing up, but I just can't recall right now where that happened in the process, although I do recall seeing them before I downloaded the style guide. Maybe they came in an email from TranscribeMe, or maybe they were on the next screen after I created my account. Of course, the videos are geared for sighted folks, and I, in fact, recall skipping them at the time. But I went back and watched them later, and information can indeed be gained from viewing them.

Once you take and pass the entrance exam, you will then have a Jobs link when you sign in, and you will get an email from TranscribeMe welcoming you, giving you some helpful links, and inviting you to create a Yammer account, as Yammer is the communication platform they use. That welcoming email will also have a link to sign up for their help desk, and that sign up form does have a captcha with no audio option, so I used an older version of Firefox to solve it. Then, once you click on that Jobs link, a file will start to play, and you may either transcribe it or cancel it and go to the Jobs link again and request another file. The files are usually 2 to 4 minutes in length. Some have very clear audio, but others may have audio that's not so good, meaning people not talking into the microphone, people talking on a bad phone connection, several people talking over each other, or people with accents that are hard to understand, just to give a few examples. Transcribing the files is also accessible, but I had to use the JAWS touch cursor to do some of the things once a job came up, mostly things I would only need to access one time, such as reviewing the guidelines for a particular type of job. Although, if memory serves, I could access those things just fine with System Access.

I can't tell from your message below whether you went to the Jobs email list and read the archived message there, although I did notice you forwarded a message quite some time ago from one of the other lists, so thought you may have seen that message as well. But, in case you didn't, the TranscribeMe platform only works with the Chrome browser, and the starting rate for new transcriptionists is $15 per audio hour. Although lots of people transcribe mch" much faster than this, they give you 60 times the length of the audio to complete a file. Thus, for a two minute file, they give you two hours. But, if you take that long, which is possible when you're just starting out, keep in mind that you will get fifty cents pay for that two-minute file, as the pay is for audio hour completed. You would also be working as an independent contractor, meaning self-employed, and not as an employee of TranscribeMe.

As for me, as I said before, I'm not fast at this at all, often, but not always, taking close to the allotted time to complete a file, especially when lots of research is required to find the correct spelling of names and places and the like. I did take an exam to get my pay increased to $22 per audio hour and almost always ensure I have work when I sign in, as there often isn't work in the general pool for folks just starting out, especially on the weekends. But then others, especially those who have passed other exams and thus moved up to higher pay rates, are able to make a couple hundred dollars a week, if not more. Of course, they also type faster than I, but I'm happy enough just having something meaningful to do when I want and without having to do all the job hunting and all that goes with it. Now, should my circumstances change such that my retirement income isn't enough for my needs, then I could very well need to rethink my working with TranscribeMe. But it works for me for right now, and I also enjoy the interaction with other transcribers on the Yammer platform. Everyone there is friendly and helpful.

This is just some general information going from my memory and what I see on the TranscribeMe site now. But I'm sure I didn't cover everything involved here, although I hope it is enough to give you an idea of the process.

----- Original Message -----
From: Shelly Kane <shellykane323@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Friday, May 3, 2019 2:38 am
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] website question

Thank you so much for telling me about your experience with this
website.? I just may give it a try.? I wasn't sure if it was legitimate
so wanted to hear from someone who has done it before. I do have one
question.? How do you get the work that they want you to transcribe?? I
use Jaws and Thunderbird as my email.? I look forward to your response.

Shelly

On 5/1/2019 11:23 AM, Vicky Collins wrote:
I heard about the TranscribeMe site from someone on the NFB Jobs email list who had tried it over a year ago now, and I finally decided to give it a try myself a few months later. I know others are much faster, but I'm really slow at it because I have to pick over everything before submitting my transcribed work, so I'm not making a lot of money at it. But it's a nice way to have some work to do when I want and earn a little extra cash without a lot of hassle, which suits me fine now that I've retired from the prior job I had with the IRS for a little over 29 years.

I'm currently on my Braille Sense U2 Mini, and its older browser won't let me access the site to get the link to the message from the NFB Jobs email list. But the archives for that list are public, and I just checked a day or so ago when on my computer and the message in question was dated, I believe, December 28th of 2017. From my experience with the TranscribeMe web site, the information still seems to be accurate, other than the fact that there were some changes made several months ago, so now the starting pay for general transcription is $15 per audio hour, rather than the $20 mentioned in that message.

Although there were a couple of things that gave me a little trouble on the site, it was pretty much quite accessible. I admit that I haven't actually received any money yet, as I've opted to just let it accumulate in my account until I find I need or want it for something. However, TranscribeMe use Yammer as their communication platform, and lots of the transcribers there do talk about withdrawing and receiving their payments each week, so I'm confident I'll be able to get mine when I'm ready.

Since I'm not an NFB member, I've opted not to post on their jobs list, although I am on the associated chat list that Judy Jones recently created, and I have posted there. I'm also signed up to the chat list associated with this group, should you have additional questions for me. And, if so, I'll try to respond more quickly than I did to this message.