Re: Changing a message subject

Pamela Dominguez

I have seen, and I like this better, when people start a new subject and say in the body of the message, that they are changing the subject.  Usually, you know what it relates to, because you have just seen people talking about what the new subjectline becomes, in the old subjectline, which has strayed off topic.  For instance: if somebody sent a message whose subject was:  “watching youtube on my phone”, and the topic strayed into people’s different phones that they used, and whether they were iPhones or android, and the features of each, then somebody starts a new subjectline from scratch and calls it “features or cellphones”, and says in the body:  “I changed the subject so we wouldn’t be off topic” or something like that, you can tell where it came from.  Pam.

From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2019 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Changing a message subject

The new subject is often related to the old subject when people do this, or it should be.  If the new subject is entirely different, then it should be a new thread.

Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2019 6:08 PM

Why not just start a new thread? I hate to say this, but it really drives me up the wall when people on lists say, "New Subject, Was Old Subject." Inquiring minds don't need to know what the original thread of discussion was.