Re: Selecting with NVDA?

Gene

I can't tell what your current problem or problems are.  You said you can't use the numpad but must use the main arrow keys.  That is correct.  NVDA doesn't allow the numpad to be used as a second set of arrow keys.  But it appears you already know how to use the main arrow keys.  Do you know if the correct item is selected when you follow my procedures?  If so, the next question is what the ITunes procedure is to do what you want.  I don't use ITunes so I can't answer that.

Gene
-----

Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Selecting with NVDA?

Yes, But what if you had moved to item 3 and you wanted to move it to a different place in the list?  What would you do with NVDA to select the item you are on or the one you just heard?

Sincerely, Vicky V

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 10:43 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I made an error in my previous message.  In my first example of selecting consecutive items, I said items 3, 4, 5, and 6.  I then said you move to item 2.  That is incorrect.  You move to item 3.  By moving to it, it is now selected.  Using shift down arrow moves to and selects item 4, then item 5, etc. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 9:36 AM

I don't use ITunes and I don't know if selection follows the standard selection rules.  The first question is, how much of your probems come from not knowing or following standard selection rules?

Shift down arrow in a list, not in a document, I'm talking only about standard lists, doesn't select the item you are on.  If you open something, such as a list of files, as in Windows Explorer, and use shift down arrow, you select the second item.  You can select the first item by pressing the space bar on it before moving.  Every time you want to select just one item, moving to it using the arrow keys automatically selects it.  If you open something, such as a folder, nothing is selected.  You haven't moved to anything yet.  You can select the current item with the space bar or you can down arrow once, then up arrow.  When you down arrow, you move to the second item, then when you up arrow, you unselect that item and select the first item.  So the very first question should be, when you either press the space bar on an item when you haven't moved, is it selected?  If you use just the arrow keys, no shift, to move to an item, is the item you moved to selected?

Shift in a list, is used to select items that are consecutive.  if you want to select items three, four, five, and six in a list, you move with the arrow keys to item to. You moved to it with the arrow keys so its already selected.  You then hold shift, and down arrow until you are on the last item you want to select.  They are all now selected.  But remember, the first item you want to select is already selected because you moved to it.

If you want to select items 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, if you have opened the list and not moved, press the space bar on item one to select it.  Then use shift down arrow.  If you don't select the first item, you will not select that item by using shift down arrow.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 7:14 AM

Hi Gene and others who are trying to help, Let’s say I have a playlist called Favorite Songs.  Now in that list I have 3 songs, we’ll call the first Song A, the second Song B and the third Song C.

Now after I have heard the name Song A and then use the down arrow from the triangle set of cursor keys, I hear the second song, Song B.

Let’s say that I want to move that Song B to be the first song.

If I now use the command Insert+DownArrow” to select Song B, I actually select Song C.

Some of you might then say, then when you are on Song A and you know that you want to move Song B, just use the “Insert+DownArrow” at that point.  However, that seems likely to produce a lot of errors.

Please remember this is using NVDA in Windows 10 on a desk top computer and that my Jaws 19 no longer allows for this kind of selecting.  This can be done, if Jaws is not running and I have verified this with several sighted people helping.

Thanks very much for any help, since I really really want to create my playlists!

Sincerely, Vicky V.  

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, June 8, 2019 8:44 PM

I'm not sure if these comments will help, but they may help you understand what the commands do in JAWS using the Numpad. 

The Numpad in JAWS emulates certain commands but it doesn't do more.  Just plain down arrow does what Numpad 2 does in JAWS.  Numpad 8 emulates the up arrow.Numpad 4 and 6 are the same as the left and right arrow keys on the main keyboard.

Insert left and right arrow move by word, exactly as control left and right arrow do. 

I'm not quite sure what you want to do but it may be that something isn't allowing the interface to work as it should.  does ITunes cause your screen-reader to go into browse mode?  Should you be in forms mode to do what you want to do?  When you are in the list, if you issue the command insert, that is the default NVDA key and press space while holding insert, Do you hear a sound?  If so, you are probably in forms mode.  Do things work as expected then? 

Perhaps JAWS didn't work as expected because it is in the virtual PC cursor. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 6:56 PM

Hi, thanks for trying to help! 

Unfortunately, that does not work for me anymore.

I am using iTunes 12.8 on a Windows 10 desk top computerand I think the latest NVDA, since Jaws 2019 won’t let me rearrange songs in a playlist.

I do a search for all the songs of a particular artist and select them all and paste them into their own playlist.

However, I then want to rearrange the order of them.

Now, in the older times, when Jaws would let me, I would indeed, use “Shift+DownArrow” to select a song and then I could cut or copy it, but that no longer works for me.  I have even tried it with Aira watching.  They could see that nothing would happen when I tried my tried and formerly true method. 

However, when I turned Jaws off and then they used the exact same command, it would work.

I found, when I switched to NVDA that the Number pad does not let me move the cursor around. The triangle keys to the left must be used instead.  Under those conditions, I have not figured out how to select one of the songs so I can move it to a different place in the playlist, since “Shift+DownArrow” then selects the song below the song I have just heard and which is the one I want to move.

Can any NVDA people help?

My sincerest thanks for any help in this.  I really miss being able to create playlists as I want them.

Vicky V

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, June 8, 2019 5:43 PM

vicky

what would you like to do, select files in a list view?

use shift and down arrow

To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Sent: Saturday, June 8, 2019 5:12 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] Selecting with NVDA?

Hello List, I am bran new to NVDA, but I am trying to use it with iTunes, since Jaws 2019 will not let me select songs to either put them in a playlist or rearrange them. 

I have had sighted people do what I wanted to do and when Jaws is not involved, it works just fine and not at all if Jaws is running.

However, in NVDA I know that I must use the triangle cursor keys and I haven’t been able to select using them, since “Shift+DownArrow” selects the next item and not the one just read.

Any suggestions please?

Sincerely, Vicky V

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.