Re: Looking for Blind Friendly Window Air Conditioner Suggestions

Gerald Levy

You might try calling Friedrich directly at 800-541-6645 to find out whether there are any authorized dealers near you where you can see their air conditioners in person.?? If you order one from Amazon, I think they offerthird party installation at additional cost. Unfortunately, the touchpad on my Friedrich air conditioner is completely flat with no way of distinguishing the buttons without adding tactile markers, which I haven't bothered to do because I find the remote, with its large, tactile buttons very convenient to use instead.?? Keep in mind that all window air conditioners with electronic controls have digital thermostat displays that require sighted help to set the desired temperature.?? In the old days, the thermostat could be?? easily set by a rotary knob or mechanical slide lever, but this blind-friendly feature is no longer offered on today's electronic units.

Gerald

On 6/24/2019 9:26 AM, Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, Gerald.?? Thanks for your recommendation.?? I checked out the Friedrich on Amazon.?? I'd love to check them out in person, but can't find a retailer in my rural community.

My Frigidaire has a mostly flat panel, but the buttons are slightly raised, like little plastic bubbles.?? Is this what you mean, or do you mean a completely flat screen with no tactile surface?

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

On 6/23/2019 5:13 PM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

Except for a few low-end models from Chinese manufacturers like Haier, almost all window air conditioners these days have electronic touchpad controls like microwave ovens.?? Fortunately, they all come with remote controls that have tactile buttons.?? I am very partial to Friedrich, the only American company that still makes window air conditioners, although they are actually manufactured in China like all window units these days.?? I have two Friedrich CP06G10B 6000 BTU window air conditioners in my two bedrooms, and find them to be very quiet and eacy to operate with the remote, which has large, tactile buttons.?? The filter is easy to remove and reinstall.?? This is the only 6000 BTU window air conditioner on the market iwht with a slide out chassis, which simplifies installation.?? Friedrich air conditioners are heavier and more expensive than their rivals because they use highr grade components.?? My two previous Friedrich window air conditionerss, which had mechanical controls, lasted 35 years and 40 years, respectively.?? I don't think my current units will last anywhere near that long, because they just don't make them like they used to. ???? The CP06G10B and its smaller 5200 BTU cousin, the CP05G10B are available from Amazon and select appliance retailers like PC Richard.?? HTH.

Gerald

On 6/23/2019 5:06 PM, Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

I'm looking for a very simple window AC unit.?? The one I currently have is 10 years old and working fine so far, but I d like to have replacements in mind just in case.

I'd prefer something simple to operate, i.e. tactile buttons if possible.?? A remote controlled unit isn't necessary.?? Also, it must be relatively simple to remove, clean and replace the filter.

The one I have now is a Frigidaire, and none of the people who have cleaned the filter have been able to explain to me how to remove it and replace it.?? I can't believe it could be this hard for a blind person to do, but even the folks who don't think I'm completely helpless say it is an impossible task.?? It's not cleaning the filter, it's removing and replacing it that's the issue.?? Again, my mind boggles.?? Is this just another case of well-meaning sighted people under estimating me or what.

This is for a small area, so anything around5000 or 6000 BTU would be sufficient.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Lisa

-