Re: excel question

Quentin Christensen

Hi Keith,

In short, yes you could use it to keep track of your finances.  Essentially, where a word processing program like Word has one big area for typing into, a spreadsheet program, has a grid of little edit boxes.  Each column has a letter, A, B, C, and so on.  Each row has a number, 1, 2, 3, etc.  The combination of a row and column gives you a reference to a specific cell.  A1 is the top left cell, C2 is in the third column and the second row, etc.  You can use TAB or arrow keys to move around these.  In each, you can either type text or a numerical value, or you can type a formula.  A formula might be =SUM(D1:D4) which will give you the sum (add each value) of D1, D2, D3 and D4.

To learn Excel in more depth than I can cover in a paragraph, I'd strongly recommend "Microsoft Excel with NVDA" which is available from NV Access: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop

Obviously it's designed for users of NVDA, but in fact, 90% of it (or more) is simply how to use Excel with the keyboard, so most of it would work much the same for users of other Windows screen readers as well.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 3:24 PM Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:
I do not really know what excel does, besides it being a spread sheet program.

Can it be used  as a check book, to add and subtract money ammounts etc?

I'd like to be able to keep track of my checkbook/financies without having to  use a seperate calculator or the built in calculator on windows machines.

Thanks

keith

--
Quentin Christensen