Update: Instant Pot Vortex Plus accessibility

Cristóbal

So… Maybe there’s hope yet.

From the IP website FAQs: https://instantappliances.com/portfolio-item/air-fryer-oven-faq/#toggle-id-11

How do I return my Vortex Plus Air Fryer Oven to the factory default settings?

To return any Smart Program to its factory default setting, touch and hold the associated Smart Program key for 3 seconds. When reset is complete, the appliance will beep twice.

I’m not clear on this. Whether there’s another way other than pressing “start” to not have the last

settings used.

Does the Vortex Plus Air Fryer Oven remember my preferences?

Yes. The Vortex Plus Air Fryer Oven automatically remembers the time and temperature settings last used with each Smart Program if you have selected Start.

So… anyone want to give it a try? And again, as I explained in my first post. It’s touchscreen display driven. That’s why I mentioned the marking it up possibility and this issue with the settings memory obstacle.

Hello list,

I came across a posting for a new appliance from the Instant Pot company. It’s a 7 in 1 counter top air fryer. See: https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/shopping/2019/07/instant-pot-air-fryer

Exclusively sold through Walmart right now actually. I guess because of them competing with Amazon Prime Day, they’re taking $20 off of its usual $120 price too.

Anyway, my reason for posting is to ask if anyone’s bought one or had the chance to play with it yet?

I’ve poked around and checked out YouTube videos and everyone seems to love it. Not only is it an air fryer, it’s also a toaster oven, rotisserie, dehydrator and some other stuff that I can’t recall right now. It’s also  10 quarts capacity which is way bigger than most air fryers out there.

I reached out to a YouTube personality who did an unboxing and some other videos on it and asked her if there were dedicated areas on the display touchscreen. Buttons would be better, but even with a touchscreen, it could be workable with some marking up/labeling. This is her response.

“Hello. What wonderful questions. I did a little research for you using my Vortex and what I fund was, each function does have it's own designated area to press that is constant. The increase and decrease area for time and temperature always go up in down in the same increments if you quickly depress it (The time goes up and down by increments of 1 min and the temperature in increments of 5 degrees). However, all of the modes start at the last temperature and time you used it last. It would have been so much better had they each defaulted to a set time/temperature. Hope this helps”

This jives with what my sighted wife saw on videos too.

My only concern was where the YouTube lady mentioned that it remembered your last user settings. This would be a problem. I asked her if there was any way to somehow reset the device to some sort of default time/temp. Sadly, she said from her playing with it, (unplugging and plugging back in, pressing and holding a button, etc) no. It remembered whatever the last temp/time was.

This is probably a deal breaker for me then since there would be no way without sighted help to know what temp/time you’re starting off at.

So, if anyone does in fact know how to reset the Vortex Plus (I’m surprised that they didn’t include some sort of default reset even as a mainstream option), I’d really like to know how to do it.

That aside, writing to the manufacture inquiring about this one feature that again, would be the only real barrier from a totally blind person using it would I’m sure help for any future releases of this appliance. The YouTube lady said she was also going to write them asking/lobbying that this be included in the future as well.

I’ll be doing the same as soon as I send this email.

Thanks,

Cristóbal