Re: extremely upset

Curtis Delzer

Well Hey, Ann I've seen you on these lists for years so I am first inclined to think you know what you are talking about, so tend to believe your observations in leu of others.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

On 7/16/2019 4:24 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

There are two things going on here, if you'll pardon me.  First, ignorance is not something which is funny.  It is something which needs to be remedied. It's not funny to discover that you have seemingly lost all your data, data which is part of your livelihood.

Second, the new interface for Dropbox is in accessible to me.  I have tried to make the buttons activate and they do not.  I have attempted to figure out how the new interface works so that I can access my files from the desktop instead of going through Windows Explorer.  It is important that this new interface work for users who are blind or visually impaired, and as far as I can see, it does not do so.

User error it may be, but it is the user who operates the computer.  I would ask you to reexamine your cavalier  attitude and change it to something more tolerant and helpful.  As a teacher both of braille and computer technology, I find amusement at the expense of another crass and socially unacceptable.  Now I've been known to grumble about questions asked which I think are obvious, but I never laugh at those who ask these questions.  The only dumb question is the one which isn't asked.  As an asside, have you ever really examined the saying in the sentence before this one?  Dumb has two meanings which I never tumbled to until recently.  Dumb can mean stupid, but it can also mean silent, as in unable to speak.   If you think about that, the saying has a layered meaning.  It's actually a play on words.

No matter how much I may grumble about folks who ask simple questions, and sometimes I can be a bit sharp tongued, it is exasperation at the training folks have been given that irks me.

I will get some sighted assistance and I will probably be able to configure DropBox so that it will come up in a list view the way it used to do.  In the meantime, I will access my files via Windows Explorer.  They have not been lost to me.  Life will continue.  However, I will remember that feeling of fear and utter helplessness so that when somebody else experiences it I can be helpful instead of amused.

Ann P.

Original message:

Haha. Didn’t even bother to ask if this had been tried as I thought it was just understood that you could access your files this way. Indeed, this is how I’ve and pretty much everyone I know accesses their files via the folder any of these cloud programs install.
I thought it was odd that Dropbox supposedly suddenly became completely inaccessible since they all more or less work the same way.
Basically user issue. Not the actual software.
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 2:36 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] extremely upset
You may want to see if you can change how DropBox displays but it may not matter except as something you just want to do. It appears you can do everything you want working with the folder itself, add or delete files and folders, share and send links to files and folders, and anything else you usually do.
Its interesting that this solution works.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 4:21 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
Hi Gene,
At this point, I don't care. I'll get help to fix the dingdong
dropbox. I thought I had lost access to my files. I'm just glad I can
access them!
Ann P.

Original message:
But will that help? Since you are working with the folder on the hard
drive using Windows Explorer, if you open the context menu, will you
see any of the options you see when in the actual DropBox interface
such as copy link?
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Jaffar Sidek <mailto:jaffar.sidek10@gmail.com <mailto:jaffar.sidek10@gmail.com>>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 10:23 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>>
Anne. Go to your c:\user\name,, Anne or Parsons if you name your pc
thus, and navigate to your dropbox folder. Your files should all be
there. Cheers!
On 7/15/2019 9:02 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Morning all,
I use DropBox to save my files. I have important files in there like
my students' files.
Warning! Warning!! Warning!! DropBox is now touting a new and
improved desktop app that is supposed to make it possible to sync your
stuff with all the crap that's out there like google drive and one
drive and icloud and so on and on. The interface is a bunch of
buttons that don't work. I have tried on win7 and win10. It says
that I'm supposed to be seeing a list, but I'm not seeing one. I
can't access my folders.
I just sent a blistering message to DropBox, and they probably won't
answer me because right now I'm extremely emotional about this. I'm
being paid to tutor students, and I can't do that if I can't access
their folders and the info I need. I hope somebody who has some clout
can jump on these people and do considerable damage to them. If they
have a new interface, then it's got to be accessible, and right now it
isn't. I'm so mad I could jump up and down on my roof and scream! I
don't suppose anyone can help me?
Ann P.
--
Pictures paint a thousand words;
Melodies paint a thousand dreams;
Music paints a thousand worlds;
Movies light up fantasy screens.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email <mailto:akp@sero.email>
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/ <http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/>
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info <http://www.portaltutoring.info>
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.