Re: Additional Free Voices for NVDA

Gerald Levy

Exactly what I thought.  I only use NVDA occasionally as a backup screen reader to JAWS,and thus do not want to spend money for additional voices.  If I were using NVDA as my primary screen reader, then I could justify this expense.  But if the free Ziro voice is not very keyboard responsive, , then I might as well stick with Anna as my default voice, which is still better than those horrible sounding ESpeak bvoices.

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Additional Free Voices for NVDA

Unless you have an unrestricted version of Eloquence, which most people don't, you can't use it for free. 

Gene
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 10:34 AM

I know that Eloquence can be purchased for use with NVDA, but my understanding is that it cannot be used legally for free.

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 11:14 AM

Eloquence is legally available for NVDA.  You may not have seen it, but there was a long thread on blind tech a month or two ago about purchasing a newly available legal SAPI5 version of Eloquence from Code Factory.  I don't remember what the cost is.  But I seem to recall it was about 49 U.S. dollars. 

You can try the program as a demo which runs for seven days, if you wish.  I'd have to check to see where you can download it from.  Vendors are selling it other than Code factory but it should be directly available from Code Factory as well.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 9:27 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Additional Free Voices for NVDA

On my old XP PC, I was able to use Eloquence as my default voice for NVDA because I also happened to have Open Book 7 installed as well.  But on my current Windows 7 PC, the only default voices available for NVDA are Microsoft Anna or ESpeak, neither of which appeals to me because they are not especially clear or responsive.  I am well aware that Eloquence is not available legally as a free voice for NVDA in Win 7, so I won’t even bother to get into a discussion about this sensitive issue.  In any case, are there any other free voices available for NVDA that are clearer and more responsive than Anna or ESpeak?  Thanks.

Gerald

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.