Re: searching and the vlc player

Joe Giovanelli

Good morning, Gene,

I tried control-E. It brings me to the same place as Control-F or pressing the Windows key.

I am not sure what I did, but sometimes I can play with VLC.

As you said, it is not necessary to press Enter.

I thank you for your ideas. I hope that you or some others can come up with a method by which I can search for, and then play that folder.

Joe G

----- Original Message -----
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Saturday, July 27, 2019 17:45
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] searching and the vlc player

I don't use Windows 10 but in Windows 7 searching works as you describe it should. But you may be doing a different kind of search and, while I didn't think of that until I was writing my message, you probably won't get the results you want with that search.

Don't use the start menu search. Use the file search utility. Don't use the start menu search.
Open the drive you want to search. Issue the command control e. You should be in an edit field now. I don't recall just what your screen-reader says. Search for what you want, such as the name of the folder in this case.
You will see results as soon as they begin to be found and more may be added if more are found.
I almost never search for files or folders so I don't remember the details of what you will see and hear but once you type what you are searching for, the search will start automatically. Don't press enter.
Start tabbing around. You will move from field to field. You will find a field with search results. If you have a problem finding it, ask and I can tell you what you will hear or find in the field. it is a list of results.

What I have described applies to Windows 7. It also probably applies to Windows 10 but you can see.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2019 2:42 PM

Gene, I never had success doing these searches. This is true even after a reboot.

Joe G.

Date: Saturday, July 27, 2019 15:06

Have you rebooted since the problem started? Have you done this before without problems? When strange problems occur, one of the first things to try if no solution is evident is to reboot.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2019 1:29 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] searching and the vlc player

Hello, List,

I use Windows 7 and my screen reader is System Access.

I have a large list of music folders, each one containing various tracks. I want to search for a specific folder, and when I locate it, want to right click on it to get to the context menu. I'd move down to Play with the VLC player.

There's no problem finding the folder, but the context menu is not what it should show. The player is not shown. What I would expect is that the up or down-arrows would permit moving among the folders. The arrows do nothing. I can enter the folder and see the tracks. The arrows permit moving among them.

If I back out to the folder, the arrows remain frozen.

I try using the standard Windows search. As said, it does not yield the right results.

Is there another way to do searches?

Is there anything I can do to permit the player to work as it should?

I will very much appreciate any help you may have.

Joe Giovanelli, W2PVY

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.