From: Gene <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Saturday, July 27, 2019 17:45
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] searching and the vlc player

I don't use Windows 10 but in Windows 7 searching works as you describe it should. But you may be doing a different kind of search and, while I didn't think of that until I was writing my message, you probably won't get the results you want with that search.

Don't use the start menu search. Use the file search utility. Don't use the start menu search.
Open the drive you want to search. Issue the command control e. You should be in an edit field now. I don't recall just what your screen-reader says. Search for what you want, such as the name of the folder in this case.
You will see results as soon as they begin to be found and more may be added if more are found.
I almost never search for files or folders so I don't remember the details of what you will see and hear but once you type what you are searching for, the search will start automatically. Don't press enter.
Start tabbing around. You will move from field to field. You will find a field with search results. If you have a problem finding it, ask and I can tell you what you will hear or find in the field. it is a list of results.

What I have described applies to Windows 7. It also probably applies to Windows 10 but you can see.

From: Gene <gsasner@gmail.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Saturday, July 27, 2019 15:06

Have you rebooted since the problem started? Have you done this before without problems? When strange problems occur, one of the first things to try if no solution is evident is to reboot.