Re: New Radio Released

Charles Adkins

Hey, just the fact that most are only listening to HD in their cars tells you its dead. Have been employed and am still employed in broadcasting, and I can tell you most broadcasters are living in their own fanticy world when it comes to the reality about the state of the industry. AM HD is dead and AM is slowly following.

On Aug 7, 2019, at 11:53 AM, Steve Matzura <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:

Funny you should mention Sony. I have a clock radio of theirs that, while not having any voice guidance, is quite usable. I can't use any of its time functions of course, but as an HD radio, I can tune it and program all its presets. Its only drawback is its total lack of a built-in AM antenna. I got a powered external one from CCrane that works excellently, even in the RFI-laden town of New York.

On 8/7/2019 11:22 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

Well, there may be alot of HD signals, but there are certainly not a lot of HD radios on the market.?? I just checked Amazon, and except for a few models made by Sangean and Sparc, none of which appears to have voice guidance or any other blind friendly features, almost nobody else seems to be making them, anymore.?? HD radio was never strongly embraced by the major electronics manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic in the first place, and so while it is technically still alive, it is clinging to life support. Obviously, Sangean does not believe there is much of a future for HD radio, or else they would have included it in the new PR-D17, which for all intents and purposes is an enhanced version of their popular and well-reviewed PR-D5,which has a basic, digital AM and FM tuner with no HD capability.

Gerald