Re: getting rid of blank lines in a word document

Pablo Morales

What I will recommend is similar to one of the suggestions below.

1. Go to the top of the document.
  2. Press control + H.
  3. On the first text field type ^p^p. In this part is the difference. If you type ^p only, you will create a huge paragraph. However, when you are removing the 2 ends  of paragraphs together. You will not unify paragraphs.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:10 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting rid of blank lines in a word document

If you don't place a space In the replace with field, I would think that where hard returns are removed, you will have sentences ending and the next sentence beginning on the same line without a space.  That wouldn't be a good idea and I suspect it will cause screen-readers to not pause properly at the end of sentences where this occurs.  Also, it will cause inflection not to be correct to indicate the end and start of a new sentence.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 5:41 PM

Yo Kimsan,

Try the following:

While in the document, press control+h to go into your Find & Replace dialogue.

In the Find field, type ^p .  Carat is, Shift + 6, on the number row then type the letter, p.

Leave the  Replacement field blank.

Tab to, Replace All, and press enter or, the shortcut keystroke is, Alt + A.

After a bit, word will tell you that it has made xxx replacements, xxx being the number of blank lines replaced.

You should get an, OK button, so press the spacebar.  You're done.

You may still have some blank lines, but this is the easiest way I know of to get rid of a lot of blank lines at one time.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that somebody screwed up.

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 2:59 PM

How are you reading the file and what screen-reader are you using?  I don't know how to remove all hard returns from documents.  But a way that might be better might be to use the speech dictionary to temporarily not say the word blank. 

But no solution of any kind will be necessary if you use read to end in JAWS or NVDA.  Blank won't be spoken.  I'm not sure about Window-eyes.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2019 4:51 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] getting rid of blank lines in a word document

Hi,

I’m reading a file where it says blank blank blank quite a bit.

What do I type in the find and replace dialog to get rid of those blanks and put spaces there?.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.