Re: Turbo boost?

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi,

This comes from Intel, although AMD has a similar technology named Turbo Core. Basically, it increases processor speed when expected to work heavy loads provided that the hardware is within operating range in terms of temperature and voltage. Depending on how many processor cores are expected to be busy for a while (from fraction of a second to several minutes), the hardware can increase speed by certain amount – less core active means more speed. For example, a quad-core laptop processor that is set to operate at 2.4 GHz from the factory can be “overclocked” or boosted to 4 GHz if one core will be busy; if all four cores will be busy for a while, all cores will be boosted to say, 3.6 GHz.

The Turbo Boost formula is summarized as follows:

CPU speed + how many cores will be active * speed increase increment

Typically, increment is 100 MHz. For example, you may see a six-core I5 processor listed as:

Frequency: 3.5 GHz

Turbo boost: 6/6/7/8/10/11

Or: Turbo: 4.6 GHz without identifying speed for number of cores boosted.

This means with six cores busy, all processor cores will be boosted from 3.5 GHz to 4.1 GHz; four cores, 4.2 GHz; three cores, 4.3 GHz; two cores, 4.5 GHz; and one core, 4.6 GHz. Processors can sustain increased speed as long as it can tollerate it (temperature and voltage are within operating range).

Cheers,

Jsoeph

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Monday, September 2, 2019 6:49 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Turbo boost?

I hear the term, turbo boost for processors and would like a surface explanation on how and when it works. I assume it  will increase the processing power for certain activities but , when and where? And how much importance should I give it if looking at purchasing a system?

Thanks for enlightening me.

Marie

The real definition of "never mind" is "you should've understood me the first time."

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.