Re: Clearing a laptop

hi Gene
i will reply to you line by line.
I would expect the Windows old folder can be deleted.  And what are
the ramifications of doing either of these things?  Do you have to
look for drivers, is the effect the same except for the Windows old
folder?
if you do a disk cleanup and then select clean up system files option
this sometimes removes the entire windows.old folder but mostly
removes 75% of it.
if you do a reset or refresh or if you do a clean install you dont
have to look for any driver, windows update does it all for you unless
you have a really really old laptop or desktop.
if you reinstall windows 10 from a dvd when the installer asks for a
product key say i dont have a product key.
you should know which eddition of windows 10 you have.
after telling the installer i dont have a product key select the
eddition of windows 10 which was previously installed on your laptop
and as soon as your laptop connects to internet and checks for updates
windows will request if this laptop was activated before and as the
laptop had a licenced version of windows the servers at microsoft will
activate windows for you.
if you have a laptop which came with windows 8 out of the box it wont
even ask for licence key as the licence key is in the uefi so it will
get the key and select the right eddition from there.
yes some laptops have a restore to factory feature but its totally
inaccessible and we need sighted help and again it may keep the
windows.old folder.

These are questions and comments I have about the message quoted below
mine.

I would expect the Windows old folder can be deleted. And what are the
ramifications of doing either of these things? Do you have to look for
drivers, is the effect the same except for the Windows old folder? If you
are talking about reinstalling from a copy of Windows, such as on a DvD, if
the only difference is the Windows Old folder, I would think that that would
be more work, and possibly the expense of buying another copy of windows.

Also, I don't use Windows 10 but I suspect that the laptop, aside from
whatever Windows itself provides, has a return to factory state option.
That would seem to me to be the best thing to do so you have the computer In
its factory state, with whatever drivers were on the computer originally and
perhaps whatever proprietary utilities were provided. Then if you want to
get rid of old information, running a program that overwrites the part of
the hard disk not taken up by the operating system.