Gene:

Thank you so much for all of your help.  I definitely like Fire Fox much better than Chrome.  It reads a lot better as well.  Again, thank you for everything.

Shelly

On 9/6/2019 2:33 AM, Gene wrote:
To make Google or whatever page you want to be your home page, do the following:
Open the page you want.
then type alt t to open tools.  Then o to open options.
If you are using JAWS, turn off the virtual pc cursor with JAWS key z.
If you are using NVDA, turn off browse mode with NVDA key space bar.
Shif tab until you get to general.
Down arrow once to home.
Tab until you get to a button that says something like restore defaults.
Tab once more and you should be on an item where you hear the word home.  You may hear other text spoken as well
This is a combo box.  Open it with alt down arrow.
Down arrow to custom page.
Tab until you get to use current.  It is a button.
Press the space bar.
google is now the home page.
After that, turn on the virtual PC cursor with the same command you used to turn it off, JAWS key z.
If you are using NVDA, turn on browse mode with the same command you used to turn it off, NVDA key space bar.
There is no okay button.  Changes take immediate effect.  Do whatever you want now.  You will be leaving a web page, the options web page so go to another page, close the browser, anything you would do when leaving a web page.
From: Gene
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2019 12:51 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] success with Fire Fox

Control k moves you to an edit field where you type the search.  When you press enter, the results page comes up.  But that isn't the page you want as your home page.  That is the page with the specific results of your search.

Go to the Google home page in the usual way.  I'll tell you what to do next later today, after I've looked at the procedure.  But you may decide you want another home page because you can type a search after the command control k.  So having Google as a home page would seem to be largely redundant.

Gene