Re: Removing stripped screws

Geoff Eden <geden1@...>

Good afternoon, do you mean that the threads are stripped or that the heads are mangled?

When working on tiny screws in computer cases, I always make sure that the head of my screwdriver is in perfect shape. This is especially important if it is one of those godforsaken Phillips screws.

I have always taken to using a small hammer and tapping the screw litely a dozen or more times as this tends to release the threads and to properly seat your screwdriver into the head of the screw. Speaking of which, take a sharp instrument and pick any glue or other debris out of the head of the screw before starting. Having a near perfect fit of the screwdriver to the screw head has everything to do with success.

Don't give up on the light tapping, I have done it for 20 or 30 minutes at a go in the past. Be patient, it works.

If the screw has a totally camed out head, drilling with a 1/16 or 3/32 size drill bit might be necessary.

Establishing 90° is the difficult part. If you own a drill press, prepare a small block of hardwood with a 90° hole the size of your drillbit. You could then run your drill through that block can be as close to 90° as possible. Drilling out the side of the screw can be fatal. Take your time. Let me say it again, take your time.

There are specialty drill bits that work backwards. I have seen them on the Internet at fancy hardware providers such as Lee Valley.
I have heard of people who put a drop of epoxy on the screw head and were able to get a bite on it with a screwdriver.

Once upon a time in my deep dark past, I sharpened the blade of an old screwdriver in the profile of a bayonet so I could rocket in the head of the damage screw to work opposite facing grooves. I was able then to get enough purchase on that screw, after tapping for a while, to get it out.

Generally speaking, you can find slightly larger screws to replace the ones that you've had to pull out. Not pretty, but practical.

You can, of course, fill a stripped screw hole with epoxy, drill a tiny pilot hole, and drive in a fresh screw.

In any event, best of luck to you. I feel your pain.

Geoff

Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:39 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Removing stripped screws

I have been cursed by stripped screws on 3 projects in the past 2 weeks, so I am seeking advice.  How do you folks approach stripped screws in things like laptop backs, old radios and other fragile electronics that wouldn’t take kindly to drilling?  Thanks for your thoughts.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.