Pending Bill in US Congress: regarding reimbursement for blind access tech for workers

Keith S

I was given permission by the list owner, Gene, to post this. Hopefully it will get passed and more of us can enter the work force...

Dear Federation Family:

As President Riccobono mentioned in the Presidential Release, the United States House

and Senate are now back in session and there is no better time to rally support for

our legislative priorities. Congress will be in session until the two week break

at the beginning of October. That gives us exactly three weeks to build serious cosponsor

support for our three legislative priorities

.

Since we have three weeks and three pieces of legislation, we’re going to focus on

one issue per week. I will include bill summaries and cosponsor counts for the relevant

bills in each legislative alert email. This week’s top legislative priority is the

Access Technology Affordability Act.

Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA)

House – H.R. 2086 – Sponsored by Mike Thompson (D-CA-5) – 28 cosponsors

Senate – S. 815 – Sponsored by John Boozman (R-AR) – 14 cosponsors

This legislation removes an employment barrier commonly experienced by blind Americans

who cannot afford the high cost of access technology by creating a refundable tax

credit in the amount of $2,000 to offset the cost of these technologies.

These cosponsor counts are impressive, but we need to keep the pressure up to ensure

that ATAA moves from the committees to the floor and is ultimately passed into law.

Please call your representative and two senators and urge them to cosponsor the Access

Technology Affordability Act if they have not already done so. A complete list of

current cosponsors is included at the end of this email.

When you call or email, you might say something like the following:

"Hello, my name is [your name] and I am a constituent of [your senator/representative].

I live in [city, state]. I am calling to urge [your senator/representative] to cosponsor

[S. 815 for Senate calls/H.R. 2086 for House calls], the Access Technology Affordability

Act. This legislation removes an employment barrier commonly experienced by blind

Americans who cannot afford the high cost of access technology by creating a refundable

tax credit in the amount of $2,000 to offset the cost of these technologies. I urge

[your senator/representative] to cosponsor the bill.

Thanks."

You can contact your member of Congress by calling the Capitol Switchboard and asking

for the office in question. The number is 202-224-3121. If you email your representative

or senators, please copy John Pare at

jpare@...

. Your calls and emails do make a difference.

Access Technology Affordability Act S. 815

Sen. Jones, Doug [D-AL]

Sen. Sullivan, Dan [R-AK]

Sen. Duckworth, Tammy [D-IL]

Sen. Collins, Susan M. [R-ME]

Sen. Cardin, Benjamin L. [D-MD]

Sen. Van Hollen, Chris [D-MD]

Sen. Tester, Jon [D-MT]

Sen. Fischer, Deb [R-NE]

Sen. Hassan, Margaret Wood [D-NH]

Sen. Udall, Tom [D-NM]

Sen. Burr, Richard [R-NC]

Sen. Wyden, Ron [D-OR]

Sen. Casey, Robert P., Jr. [D-PA]

Sen. Capito, Shelley Moore [R-WV]

Access Technology Affordability Act H.R. 2086

Rep. Calvert, Ken [R-CA-42]

Rep. Hunter, Duncan D. [R-CA-50]

Rep. Neguse, Joe [D-CO-2]

Rep. Larson, John B. [D-CT-1]

Rep. Gaetz, Matt [R-FL-1]

Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]

Rep. Gabbard, Tulsi [D-HI-2]

Rep. Davis, Rodney [R-IL-13]

Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9]

Rep. Carson, Andre [D-IN-7]

Rep. Visclosky, Peter J. [D-IN-1]

Rep. Cummings, Elijah E. [D-MD-7]

Rep. Ruppersberger, C. A. Dutch [D-MD-2]

Rep. Sarbanes, John P. [D-MD-3]

Rep. Lynch, Stephen F. [D-MA-8]

Rep. Pressley, Ayanna [D-MA-7]

Rep. Huizenga, Bill [R-MI-2]

Rep. Kildee, Daniel T. [D-MI-5]

Rep. Moolenaar, John R. [R-MI-4]

Rep. Tlaib, Rashida [D-MI-13]

Rep. Upton, Fred [R-MI-6]

Rep. Pascrell, Bill, Jr. [D-NJ-9]

Rep. Serrano, Jose E. [D-NY-15]

Rep. Blumenauer, Earl [D-OR-3]

Rep. Fitzpatrick, Brian K. [R-PA-1]

Rep. Kelly, Mike [R-PA-16]

Rep. Cooper, Jim [D-TN-5]

Rep. Stewart, Chris [R-UT-2]

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 410-659-9314, extension

2218 or email me at

JPare@...

.