Re: Windows Ten Question

Shelly Kane

Thank you so much.  I will definitely send Kevin an email.  When I buy my new computer, I would like to customized for me.  I greatly appreciate you giving me the information.  Sounds like his prices are reasonable as well which is even better.

Shelly

On 9/19/2019 2:47 AM, Steven Johnson wrote:

Good evening Shelly.  I am a JAWS and Windows 10 user, and I bought 2 computers, an HP desktop and a laptop from a fellow blind person who custom builds them to order for a very reasonable price.  His name is Kevin and his email is nocm@...

I got an HP desktop with an I5 4th generation processor, Office 2019, a 256gb SD drive, a 2tb extra drive, a wireless card and 16gb of RAM for about 250 dollars, but he does cheaper ones without some of the frills that I ordered such as Office and the extra memory.  For what it is worth, there is my recommendation.  Both of my machines booted up with JAWS in demo mode out of the box, and once I put my authorization on them, I have experienced superior performance out of both of them.  You get Windows 10 Professional 64 bit, lots of USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, a keyboard and mouse, a wireless (wi-fi) card, a DVR-W optical drive, and a solid-state drive if you want one.  He is also a super nice fellow.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shelly Kane
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 11:21 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Windows Ten Question

Hi Group:

I have read all of your comments and I thank you all so much for your help.  Gene, you have given me a lot to consider.  My decision has been made.  I am going to look into getting a new desktop computer.  Mine is so slow and it's pretty old and I'm not sure if I want to bother putting windows 10 on it.  Now my question is:  does any of you have any good recommendations on a computer?  The one I'm using is a no name and I'm not planning to go that route again.  A friend who helped me years ago told me this one wasn't made right for the blind.  He said that my desktop wasn't customized correctly.  I plan on getting a regular computer and put my own copy of Jaws on it.  I know people talked about computers for the blind out of Texas and I'm not going to do that.  I look forward to your recommendations and again, thanks for all of your advice and help.

Shelly

On 9/18/2019 9:42 AM, Gene wrote:

I don't know if a nine-year-old computer has whatever is needed to run Windows 7 or to run it well in terms of what is actually in the computer.  For example, it doesn't use the newer BIOS system and I don't know if or how that might matter.  I hope others discuss this.  Computers that can do what you want to do aren't expensive these days and it might well either be necessary or make more sense just to get a new one with Windows 10 on it.