Re: FreedomScientific Vs. NvAccess

Victor

Hi all:

I agree that more people should donate to NVDA. Every little bit helps.

I definitely believe that Freedom Scientific is at least a little
greedy. My Vocational Rehabilitation agency bought JAWS 11 for me
just a month before JAWS 12 was released. I developed a kind of
friendship with one of the sales representatives at Freedom
Scientific. He told me he was surprised that the company didn't just
sell my VR agency JAWS 12 since the release was only a month away. If
I heard him right, the employees at Freedom Scientific don't even get
a discount on company's products. Even they have to pay full price if
they want their products for personal use.

Go with NVDA or, install Linux or buy a Mac. That's my advice. I
love JAWS, but it's very expensive.

VictorOn 11/18/15, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Hi Group,

Of course there is truth in what Gene says, which is why everyone using
NVDA should at least try to make a small contribution every year. Even
10 or 20 dollars a year from each user (at last report there are several
hundred thousand users worldwide) would bring in an additional 20 or 30
million dollars. I know many blind people (myself included) don't have
a huge amount of money, but even 10 or 20 dollars yearly helps a little
bit.

On 11/18/2015 10:33 PM, Gene wrote:
Screen-readers you pay for are expensive because the customer base is so
small. If it were a large customer base, they would cost what you would
expect complex programs to sell for in the general market. As far as NVDA
goes, NVDA gets grants from various companies and donations from users.
But one of the main reasons NVDA is free is because the main developer
doesn't pay himself anywhere near what he would earn if he worked for an
employer. I've seen it stated on the NVDA users' list that he pays
himself somewhere around minimum wage. So one way or another, the price
is high. It's just that when it comes to NVDA, you don't see the price.
But those who work on NVDA for pay and those who do so as volunteers pay
the price one way or another, in low wages or in donating time. People
love to castigate companies that charge for such products. It doesn't
seem to bother them that NVDA is free because people pay the price
voluntarily. That's there choice but it shouldn't be the case, as a
matter of principle, that the people who work for pay on NVDA are paid so
little.