Re: Needing some advice on purchasing a new desktop

iram shabbir

absolutely. i agree with gene. though i am  not a techy person like u. i purchase a new laptop in 2013 latest model of del at that time. it has 1 t bstorage capacity. and where ever i want i bring it with me. and i can listen a book even i am on bed. regards

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2019 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Needing some advice on purchasing a new desktop

I haven't used a machine with a SSD but I think the answer of whether someone would benefit depends on the answers to the following questions and perhaps others I haven't thought of, but I would think these are the main ones.

How much more does an equivalent machine cost with both drives?
Another question is how do you use the computer?  I can see where someone would save a significant amount of time if they do things that require a lot of disk activity such as converting audio files to different formats or recording and saving a lot of files in a compressed format that, I would think, would take longer with a mechanical drive.  So do you anticipate doing disk intensive activities often enough to pay whatever the higher cost of the computer might be?

I'm presenting the following as points of discussion.

I don't care if programs open faster.  And as far as boot time, there are ways to get very fast boots using a mechanical hard drive, such as using sleep instead of shutting down.  You should reboot after awhile but using something like sleep mostly eliminates long boot times.

Where speed might be nice is in opening web pages.  I don't know how much increased speed you might get but that is something for further discussion.  I don't care, myself.  If I'm going to spend two or five or ten minutes reading something, I don't care if the page opens in three or four seconds, as some do on my mechanical drive machine, or perhaps in one second. I don't know if that much time would be saved, but I don't care about such savings.  You may.

In short, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.  I think it depends on what the person cares about and how the computer is used and what the cost difference is.