Re: Needing some advice on purchasing a new desktop

James Bentley

Be careful if you decide to choose a laptop instead of a desktop.  I got stuck with a quad core AMD in an HP laptop that was slower than a tranquilized snail.  Now, It got a lot better after I did the Windows refresh to get rid of a mountain of bloatware.  Actually, I’m not sure if MS calls that refresh or fresh start.

In addition, some of those AMD laptops in the $250 to $400.00, price range from Amazon come with Windows S.

That means you can’t install any software unless it comes from the Microsoft Store.  That includes Jaws, NVDA, and much more.

I haven’t really looked at AMD desktops, which is really what you were discussing,  but if buying a budget model, watch out for Windows S.  Its kind of like Microsoft’s answer to Chrome Book.  Great for sighted individuals on a super tight budget but a deal breaker for persons needing a fully functional screen reader.

I am not at all sure about recent AMD processors but they had a bad reputation in the past because some of their drivers would not play well with screen readers.

Cheers,

James B