Re: How do I get Jaws to number emails in Outlook using Jaws

Smiling?

If you end up calling Microsoft, maybe create yourself a Restore Point before (instructions below).

Creating a System Restore Point in Windows10 (Run Dialogue steps as well).

1. Go back to System Properties (WindowsKey+PauseKey) and Shift Tab until you get to System Protection and press Enter. Or just hit your Windows key and type system restore and up will come Create a Restore Point, press Enter.
2. Tab down to Create... and press Enter. You are now going to name it if desired and tab through Okaying it for it to begin. It will create it letting you know when it’s done.

Run Dialogue steps

Windows+R to open up your Run Dialogue and type:
rstrui.exe and press Enter. System Restore will open up.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Friday, November 8, 2019 5:00 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I get Jaws to number emails in Outlook using Jaws

Thanks. With JAWS, that did not work. As it is, as I come to a folder it does tell me how many unread messages there. So, at night, when I delete Trash, I have no idea how many emails I got that day.

It is beginning to look like the only alternative is calling Microsoft Disability.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, November 8, 2019 3:23 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I get Jaws to number emails in Outlook using Jaws

On another list, someone posted the following instructions for determining the number of messages in a folder. It won't tell you how many unread messages there are, but this may help until you find the way to see all the information you want. Maybe you won't want to spend time solving the problem when you can see how many messages there are. Another solution to the unread number of messages problem might be to use the below method and, before you close the program, select all the messages in your inbox and send them to another folder. I made one once called inbox backup, though I seldom use it. If you read all your mail, then send whatever you didn't delete to inbox backup, the next time you get mail, the number of messages you hear announced will be the number of unread messages so that solves that problem in a workaround.

Here is the procedure. it is discussed in terms of what NVDA says but JAWS should say the same or about the same thing.

Close all open emails and make sure that your cursor is resting on any closed message in the current folder.
Press control+Shif+tab to opens the "Folder List". NVDA announces "Folder List minimised".
Press space bar to expand the list.
Arrow down to the folder you want.
Note that NVDA speaks the number of messages contained in the folder after giving the folder name.

You can also open the Folder List by using control+y but this view of the list does not show the number of emails contained in each folder.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, November 08, 2019 1:45 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

All that gets me is with Insert+Page Down telling me the name of the email list.

At least, Outlook is working otherwise. For a while there, I was just having all kind of problem with it.

As much as I tend to resist it, probably the final solution will be calling Microsoft Disability. I had instructions from them that I posted, but they no longer work.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Friday, November 8, 2019 10:29 AM

Hi Carolyn

Here are the Outlook 2016 key strokes to accomplish this task. Your Outlook 2013 might be slightly different.

From outside of a message, type: alt+v and v again

This should put you on a very long sentence that starts with the words:
advanced view settings

In Outlook 2016, I tab 3 times to description filter and hit enter.

Then I have to tab around 10 times to a button that says clear all. And, then hitthe space bar on that button.

Then tab to the OK button and hit enter. Then tab all the way around to make sure that there is not a second OK button that you need to hit.

Then from outside of an email message, type insert+page down. Hopefully, you will hear the total number of emails in that folder. And also hear the number of unread emails.

I hope that this is close enough to get the job done for you. And, MS Disability Desk is still an option.

Good luck,

James B

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> > On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Friday, November 8, 2019 8:45 AM

Even with Shift+Tab, in Advanced, when I go to it after highlighting Filger, the only options are Field, whatever that is, and Edit.

I am sure that eventually, I will be driven to calling Microsoft Disability again.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Smiling?
Sent: Friday, November 8, 2019 4:43 AM

Try Shift+Tabbing instead when focused in the Advanced Tab, and on my end, there's only a Clear All button.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2019 8:09 AM

My problem is that I can't get to Remove in the Advanced Tab.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:13 AM

Carolyn, I thank you too. I finally got it to work. My menus are just slightly different from yours.

I still do not have Jaws telling me where I am in the ocean of emails but at least I can tell how big the ocean is and how many of the emails have not been read.

I bet you was glad to get that fixed.

Cheers,

James B

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> > On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:38 AM

Thanks Carolyn. This worked perfectly.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> > On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: November 6, 2019 9:44 PM

James, I doubled checked in my Outlook tutorial and found this:

Settings for displaying number of mailbox messages 1. Get in mailbox you want to remove filters from and set numbers in.
2. Alt+v+v.
3. Tab three times to Filters.
4. Shift+Tab.
5. Right Arrow to Advanced Tab.
6. Tab to Remove.
7. Tab to OK.
8. Tab to OK again - VOILA, you're done.

Trouble is, I have been trying that; I tried again. I am unable to make it work.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 4:13 PM

That sounds like a good idea. I haven’t used the disability service but the reports I’ve seen are uneven as to quality and my impression is that it ranges widely.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 2:20 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Hi,

I may have fixed my biggest problem with Outlook. All devices would hang several times per day forcing me to restart the device. That solution is available if someone else has the same problem.

The MS Disability Desk is a lot of help most of the time. However, they have really messed up my PC a couple of times. I have started creating a backup image of my PC before I even call them. Also, I create an image if I am going to mess with anything that I have doubts about.

For example, I accidentally locked myself out of one of my laptops while messing with pass words and user profiles. It only took an hour to replace the entire drive from an image that I had made a few hours before I started messing around.

Cheers,

James B

Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:14 PM

James, if Microsoft hadn't fixed my Outlook (all but filters), I would have called a local computer guy, but am thankful not to have had to spend that money. Sometimes though, a knowledgeable sightie can work wonders in a little bit of time. My husband is good, but has no clue about Outlook or any other email client.

Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 12:38 AM

I might be stuck with Office 365. I'll reluctantly get over the numbering of emails if I must. Its just a massive learning curve. Plus, I have an unidentified problem.

All 3 of my devices will hang. That is Outlook hangs.
Then, I must do a forced shutdown and restart Outlook. This happens 2 or 3 times a day.

disability tech support reinstalled my server settings on two machines with no success. They are now suggesting a repair on Outlook.

I have put that on hold for a day or so. I am Googling around to learn more. There are plenty of people who have the same problem And, with many solutions that I want to investigate before I get stuck having to install an image backup because MS or I destroyed my current drive.

I really want Office 365 to work. I am accustomed to some of its menus and keystrokes. it has a lot of very cool features. Its spell-checker and language checker are awesome. And, I am now liking Imap. but, still that learning curve.

Cheers,

James B

Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 3:52 PM

I have JAWS 18, because it mostly works so well, I don't to try to fix something that is not broken. I have Outlook 2013.

Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 4:32 PM

I'm not getting the same results as you. Maybe we are using different versions of Outlook or our settings are different.

Let me know if you discover how to make changes to the filters.

James B

Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 1:00 PM

Insert+Page Down used to tell me the number, which I gave
that command on another list. However, if the filters are on, that command will provide no number information. I would love to know how to remove the filter. But, Insert+8 will sai a message and one out of seven or 22 out of 35, whatever is there.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Smiling?
Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 6:26 AM

As far as being announced 50 out of 100 not at all sure of how one would do that with JAWS. Hearing how many emails within whatever given folder, just try using the keystroke (while focus is within this folder)

Insert+PageDown

Sent: Monday, November 4, 2019 10:30 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] How do I get Jaws to number emails in Outlook using Jaws

Hi all,

I've been using Outlook with IMap for over a week now. I am grateful to all who talked me in to trying it again. 4 or 5 years ago, it didn't work for me. Now, I have a faster internet connection and faster computers and I am loving Outlook and imap.

I still have one more item that I hope can be resolved. I want to know how many emails are in my In-box and where I am in the list. For example, if I have 100 emails in my In-Box and I am on email number 50, I would like Jaws to say 50 out of 100.

I have the check box in folder properties checked that tells Outlook to number all mail. What else should I try?

I am using Jaws 19, Office365 and Windows10.

Thanks for any ideas,

James B

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.