Re: New Laptop

James Bentley

Be careful purchasing a refurbished PC from any one including Amazon. I
looked very long and very hard at Amazon certified laptops before I decided
I wasn't willing to take a chance on a refurbished laptop.

Amazon claims that these laptops are carefully examined for cosmetic damage.
Amazon also claims that they thoroughly clean up and test all laptops before
they can receive certification. There were many reviews that reported such
problems as finger prints, dirt, scratches and dents. Several laptops had
been returned from a large company where they had been used for 4 years
before the company decided to trade them in for new laptops. Some reviewers
reported that they received laptops with dead batteries that would not hold
a charge. One reviewer reported that his laptop came from a company who
turned Bluetooth support off in the BIOS for security reasons. Turning that
back on is impossible for a blind user without sighted assistance. There
were several other problems. Again, with Amazon certified laptops. To be
fair, Amazon has a very good reputation for honoring their Recertified PC's
but, who wants to have to box up their PC and ship it back to Amazon. And,
then wait for another PC?

If you want to save a lot of cash, Computers for the Blind has an extremely
good reputation for providing decent desktop and laptops for around $150,
Their PC's come with a legal copy of Jaws and they are reported to stand
behind their PC's. And, the last that I heard, you can request a laptop
with a number pad.,

I do not have their number handy right now but, if you want, many listers on
this list will give it to you.

But, if laying out $500, cash isn't a hassle, I would go for a new laptop.
Maybe a Black Friday sale next week.

And, of course, all of this information is only my personal opinion.
Obviously, others here on this list have had great luck with refurbished
PC's.

Good luck on finding what you want,

James B