Re: New Laptop

enes sarıbaş

Well I am not most users. This is an eighth gen processor, and the ninth gen, or the alternative canonlake 10 NM, which were released together, bring alot more performance improvements. Personally  I think that holding off buying a new computer as long as possible is a good idea, as the constantly discovered spectre vulnerabilities  are hitting performance very hard.  Moreover, intel has technically been on the same design since Skylake, and hasn't delivered anything substantially new.

On 11/24/2019 2:10 PM, Gene wrote:
Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2019 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New Laptop

That is a nice unit, especially  because of the ethernet port  and number pad. The processor is outdated now, but when I replace my five year old laptop next year or so, I want something like this probably, though I would go for an I7 if it was available.

On 11/22/2019 3:10 PM, James Bentley wrote:

Hi Amy,

I recently bought an Acer 15.6 inch 4 pound laptop from Amazon.  It is very slim and really feels comfortable to hold in my hands.  It is extremely fast and it has a number pad.  I like it better than any laptop that I have ever owned.  This is my fifth laptop in about 4 years.  Its battery life for me is over 11 hours.  Note, I have my screen resolution turned down pretty low because I do not need to see the screen.  It does not have a DVD reader/burner.  It also does not have an SD card reader.  I have an external DVD reader/burner and an external SSD card reader.  I haven’t needed either in over 2 years.

Maybe there will be some sale  prices next week.  I can’t say for sure.  For right now, the price is $509, plus state sales tax with free delivery.

Here are a few details along with an Amazon  link.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8265U-Keyboard-Fingerprint-A515-54-51DJ/dp/B07RF2123Z/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TTW0G4ET3D313ZV7XE7D

Product description

Style: Notebook only

Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-51DJ comes with these high level specs: 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8265U Processor 1.6GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.9GHz (6MB Smart cache), Windows 10 Home, 15.6 Inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display, Intel UHD Graphics 620, 8GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD, True Harmony Technology, Two Built-in Stereo Speakers, Acer Purified.Voice Technology with Two Built-in Microphones, 802.11ac WiFi featuring 2x2 MU-MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz), 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port), Bluetooth 4.2, Back-lit Keyboard, Acer Fingerprint Reader supporting Windows Hello, HD Webcam (1280 x 720), 1 - USB 3.1 (Type-C) port (Gen 1 up to 5 Gbps), 2 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port (one with Power-off Charging), 1 - USB 2.0 Port, 1 - HDMI Port with HDCP support, Lithium-Ion Battery, Up to 9.5-hours Battery Life, 3.97 lbs. | 1.8 kg (system unit only) (NX.HG5AA.001)