Re: Has anyone ever seen anything as sick as this? I am now seeking advice on PC Security

Kerryann Ifill

Good morning,
Could you guys suggest a good antivirus package that is screen reader friendly for installation?
Thank you

Kerryann F.. Ifill

On 26 Nov 2019, at 9:16 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

The security suggestions are irrelevant as far as receiving such a message is concerned.  the firewall settings are irrelevant.  The firewall keeps your computer from being seen by bots that look for exposed ports.  If they don't see your computer ports, to a bot, your computer doesn't exist.  a firewall keeps your computer from being attacked just because it is online.  If you didn't have a firewall bots could probe for ports and if they found yours, they could place malware on your system just because you are connected.  None of your programs like your browser would need to be running.  Your default firewall settings should be fine and routers usually have their own firewall as well and their default settings are probably fine.

You don't need to change passwords or do anything else becaquse you received this message.  You were sent a piece of spam that caught your attention and got through whatever spam filters are being used.  That is all that happened.

If your security is deficient, if you are using an inadequate antimalware program, for example, that is something to consider, but receiving this message says nothing about your security.

As for the other response, I think that was intended as humor.

Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Has anyone ever seen anything as sick as this? I am now seeking advice on PC Security

My post made it clear that I did not participate  in any of the activities
that the so-called hacker suggested.

Furthermore, I also made it clear that I did not fall for any thing.  Nor
did I ever consider sending money to this jerk.

Chris, Where are you coming from with your use of the wordsed shame and
crazy?

While the whole experience for me was quite distasteful, I did gain one
benefit.  I realized that I need to pay more attention to my PC security.
That is the only reason that I requested information concerning computer
security even though in this particular case, my security was never actually
compromized.  .

Thanks to Ann and others who posted suggestions without asserting any
negative comments concerning my character.

James B