Re: New Laptop

Gerald Levy

I have a small USB powered mini cooling fan plugged into one of the front USB ports on my desktop.  When it stops spinning after I initiate a shutdown, then I know that the computer  has powered off.

Gerald

On 11/30/2019 1:50 PM, Evan Reese wrote:
Have you ever had any trouble telling if the machine is on? I mean, what if your voice quits? How do you know whether the machine is still on? Has that ever come up?
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 1:45 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New Laptop

I can't really tell the difference.  I replaced the regular drive with a
solid state drive.  The only difference I can tell is that it's quiet.  Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Lenron
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 9:56 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Oh you can for sure tell the difference. No way would I buy a computer
with out on SSD, at least not one I was going to use as my main
machine.

On 11/30/19, enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@...> wrote:
wern't you the person suggesting that many people couldn't tell the
difference between an HDD and SSD?

On 11/30/2019 8:09 AM, Gene wrote:
If you spend money fopr a top of the line machine, it is out of date,
by a technical definition because something new and faster is out.
Most people don't people aren't going to be affected by whether a
processor is a little slower por not.  they are not gamers, they don't
run programs that require the kind of speed where a processor that is
somewhat slower than the fastest in the moderate price range matters,
and they might want to save one-hundred or more dollars even if money
isn't particularly tight.  Many people spend more money than they need
to be3cause they don't know how to determine what they need based on
their use and how they anticipate using their computer in future.
Many people have computers that are years old, five or older, and they
are perfectly happy with thir technically out of date machines that
are plenty fast for them.  and if they really do want more speed, they
would get a lot more speed by getting an SSD and maybe, though not at
all necessarily, by adding more memory.  Word processing, e-mail,
browssing, streaming, such uses don't require gaming or near gaming
speed processors.
Gene
----- Original M3essage -----