Re: New Laptop

chris judge

Just get an external hd for storage. You will definitely notice, and appreciate the difference in speed of a sshd for OS and programs.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Evan Reese
Sent: November 30, 2019 1:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New Laptop

Okay, it may be well worth it to you, but not to me. 256 gigs isn’t enough to store my music collection, let alone my NLS books, among other stuff, so I would still need a hard drive to store that. So I may as well save the money and get the hard drive and skip the SSD. I can get a regular hard drive with nearly ten times that much storage for almost the same price. So the price differential between a spinning hard drive and an SSD for the same amount of storage is still substantial. How much would a 2 terabyte SSD cost me?

Evan

Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 11:59 AM

The price of an SSD is well worth it. You can grab a 256 gb Samsung 860 evo for 50 or so dollars, which is a high end SSD.

On 11/30/2019 9:22 AM, Evan Reese wrote:

Oh I’m sure I could tell the difference if I got an SSD. The problem is that my bank account will tell a much bigger difference than any difference that matters to me. <smile>

Prices are coming down, but solid state drives are still substantially more expensive than mechanical drives, which are also still decreasing in price. If SSD’s ever catch up to hard drives in cost, then I will get one.

Evan