Re: New Laptop

Gene

You would think caching would be turned off when Windows detects an SSD drive, but I don't know if that is practical, not being a tech or programmer.  But if someone is working with sound and video editing and using large files such as wave files which they edit and then convert to another format, your comments appear to imply that that is not a good use of an SSD, which in my opinion, calls into question the whole point of having one.  I'm not saying anything definite, I don't have the technical knowledge.  But that appears to be the implication of your comments.  It is common, for example, to edit a recording, let's say an hour or an hour and one-half in an uncompressed format, then save it in a compressed format.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2019 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New Laptop

Theoretically a drive has enough cycles  that use isn't a problem normally. But conversion of large files, and caching, in which ram is faster, use alot of SSD write cycles, esspecially with the ware leveling algorithms

On 12/1/2019 4:48 AM, Gene wrote:
So one of the very purposes for which a lot of people would want one, you say is harmful to it.  From what I've read, there are so many read/write cycles on an SSD that you don't have to worry about running out, even under heavy use. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 10:30 PM

Your suggested use is harmful to the SSD. Converting files on the SSD would use alot of its write cycles, and ware out the drive.

On 11/30/2019 9:29 PM, Gene wrote:
That isn't the point.  Your estimated use of time is much greater than it actually would be.

I simply don't care if a cached program opens in two seconds and if it opens in half a second using an SSD.  If I were converting large audio files on a regular basis and I could save one or two or three minutes per file, that would really mean something.  Opening programs a little faster is insignificant.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 8:04 PM

With an SSD, caching is irrelevent, and programs open at lightning speed, under a second.
On 11/30/2019 11:41 AM, Gene wrote:
Also, I don't know what you are defining as a session.  if you let your computer run constantly and only reboot once a week, then a session is a week.  I doubt you are considering a session as being anywhere near that long but it is important to define terms when discussing anything where such definitions can't be assumed.  One hundred seconds over a long session hardly matters.  In one day, depending on how pressed you are for time, it may matter a little. 

Also, there is caching.  I don't know how long something tends to be cached.  The first time I open Firefox in a session, it takes a long time, perhaps about twelve seconds.  If I close and open it again, it takes about three.  Chrome takes roughly six or eight seconds the first time on my Windows 7 machine, I also used that machine for the Firefox estimated time.  When I open Chrome immediately after closing it, it takes about one second. 

So depending on how long cache information is kept, your opening figure times may be way off. 

Gene
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 10:58 AM

It absolutely does make a difference. If you launch firefox 20 times during a session, and it takes 5 extra seconds to to launch, that is a full 100 seconds of lost productivity. Have to add it usually will take longer.

On 11/30/2019 9:09 AM, Gene wrote:
I didn't say that.  I said that for many people, it won't make enough difference that they may care.  I don't.  If I write an e-mail, most of the time is spent writing it.  The amount of time I would save using an SSD wouldn't matter in terms of the e-mail program opening, it would likely have already been opened for the day or a good part of it,.  The same with a document.  If I'm working on a document, writing and editing and doing other possible work will take up most or almost all of the time.  Whether Word opens in one second or three or four, who cares?  Streaming, what difference does it make if the stream starts to play in one second or three?  If I read an article online that takes two minutes to read, do I care if it opens in one second or three or four? 
Someone who converts a lot of large files to other formats might want an SSD drive.  Others who do disk intensive activities might want one.  For a lot of users, I really doubt it matters enough to them to switch their current computers.

At this point, I haven't kept up with prices so I don't know if it is worth getting one in a new computer.  The way I use a computer, if I can save fifty or one-hundred dollars or more by staying with a mechanical drive, that's what I would do.  But not having checked prices, I don't know how much added price may be involved.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 8:38 AM

wern't you the person suggesting that many people couldn't tell the difference between an HDD and SSD?

On 11/30/2019 8:09 AM, Gene wrote:
If you spend money fopr a top of the line machine, it is out of date, by a technical definition because something new and faster is out.  Most people don't people aren't going to be affected by whether a processor is a little slower por not.  they are not gamers, they don't run programs that require the kind of speed where a processor that is somewhat slower than the fastest in the moderate price range matters, and they might want to save one-hundred or more dollars even if money isn't particularly tight.  Many people spend more money than they need to be3cause they don't know how to determine what they need based on their use and how they anticipate using their computer in future.  Many people have computers that are years old, five or older, and they are perfectly happy with thir technically out of date machines that are plenty fast for them.  and if they really do want more speed, they would get a lot more speed by getting an SSD and maybe, though not at all necessarily, by adding more memory.  Word processing, e-mail, browssing, streaming, such uses don't require gaming or near gaming speed processors.

Gene
----- Original M3essage -----
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 5:44 AM

I was extremely clear in my message. The processors on the provided model are out of date, and unles they have major financial troubles, most people will want an up-to-date processor on their devices. Otherwise the machine is practically aged even before you open the box. An older processor machine will likely need to be replaced sooner as it is behind the times, and might not be able to handdle applications earlier than a more current machine.
On 11/25/2019 8:56 AM, Gene wrote:
If the typical buyer wants to spend more money to future proof something they will probably find satisfactory for years, until they want to replace the computer because of age or newer features, that's their choice, but most users don't need to worry when they buy a reasonably fast computer now unless they dramatically change how they use computers.

Also, in your last message, you said you weren't most users.  I didn't say nor imply that you are.  But saying something is out of date with no explanation may lead some or many people to think that it isn't something they should consider when they might very well find it very satisfactory.

I'm saying that such commments about outdatedness and future proofing should be put in context.  Not doing so may cause many people to think or wonder if they should spend more, perhaps a lot more, money than they need to.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2019 3:19 PM

It isn't slow. But buyers might want a current model of processor to future proof it. This likely isn't an issue though, as Acer probably updated this line with iether a ninth or 10th gen processor choice.
On 11/24/2019 3:03 PM, James Bentley wrote:

Unless the buyer needs a gaming laptop or is editing a lot of videos, I can’t believe this laptop is too slow.

I love the way that I can run a virus scan, play music from Winamp, and have half a dozen Chrome windows open while I have Outlook and HJPad all open.

I haven’t used the USB 3.1 yet but I can write a 36 gig image to a drive using moderate compression in about 20 minutes with USB 2, while still going through email in Outlook.

James B

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2019 2:11 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2019 1:38 PM

That is a nice unit, especially  because of the ethernet port  and number pad. The processor is outdated now, but when I replace my five year old laptop next year or so, I want something like this probably, though I would go for an I7 if it was available.

On 11/22/2019 3:10 PM, James Bentley wrote:

Hi Amy,

I recently bought an Acer 15.6 inch 4 pound laptop from Amazon.  It is very slim and really feels comfortable to hold in my hands.  It is extremely fast and it has a number pad.  I like it better than any laptop that I have ever owned.  This is my fifth laptop in about 4 years.  Its battery life for me is over 11 hours.  Note, I have my screen resolution turned down pretty low because I do not need to see the screen.  It does not have a DVD reader/burner.  It also does not have an SD card reader.  I have an external DVD reader/burner and an external SSD card reader.  I haven’t needed either in over 2 years.

Maybe there will be some sale  prices next week.  I can’t say for sure.  For right now, the price is $509, plus state sales tax with free delivery.

Here are a few details along with an Amazon  link.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8265U-Keyboard-Fingerprint-A515-54-51DJ/dp/B07RF2123Z/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TTW0G4ET3D313ZV7XE7D

Product description

Style: Notebook only

Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-51DJ comes with these high level specs: 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8265U Processor 1.6GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.9GHz (6MB Smart cache), Windows 10 Home, 15.6 Inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display, Intel UHD Graphics 620, 8GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD, True Harmony Technology, Two Built-in Stereo Speakers, Acer Purified.Voice Technology with Two Built-in Microphones, 802.11ac WiFi featuring 2x2 MU-MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz), 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port), Bluetooth 4.2, Back-lit Keyboard, Acer Fingerprint Reader supporting Windows Hello, HD Webcam (1280 x 720), 1 - USB 3.1 (Type-C) port (Gen 1 up to 5 Gbps), 2 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port (one with Power-off Charging), 1 - USB 2.0 Port, 1 - HDMI Port with HDCP support, Lithium-Ion Battery, Up to 9.5-hours Battery Life, 3.97 lbs. | 1.8 kg (system unit only) (NX.HG5AA.001)

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Amy Gordon
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 1:53 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Amy Gordon

> Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 1:32 PM

> To: TechTalk

> Subject: [TechTalk] New Laptop

> Hi all I currently have a Dell laptop in which I have had trouble with

> ever since I bought it about 5 years ago.  It is getting worse so I

> know there will be sales coming soon.  I currently use Jaws on my

> computer and mostly use it for internet tasks like email, taking

> surveys, facebook etc.  Was wondering what suggestions you have for a

> new laptop as far as specs and best place to buy from?  Thanks

> Amy

>

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.