Sent: Monday, December 02, 2019 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Real techh problem

They are attached to your computer with a USB cable.  they are stand alone devices in that sense.  I don't know the exact definition of a stand alone device, I don't use the term.

They come with software that you can install if you want to use most of the features of the sound card.  The card will play if you don't install the software so you can do whichever you want.

I can't recommend one.  I haven't bought one for perhaps ten years.  Others can discuss what would be suitable if you want to use it for all your audio, including music.  I don't know what price range would be suitable to roughly equal what you already are using, if you are satisfied with that quality of sound.

If you only use your sound card for your screen-reader and don't listen to other audio or very little or you aren't concerned much with quality, you might be able to use anything or almost anything, even the cheapest card, but others will have to comment on all that.  If there are specific features, you want, let the list know.